Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Washing Machines/Refrigerators 2007/6/18 13:03
Dear Friend

I am moving to Tokyo in 4 weeks and I wanted to ask if I buy white goods like washing Machine/Fridge in Japan will they work outside Japan in a country which operates on 220V (Like Aus, India)? Regards Gary
by Gary  

Washing Machines/Refrigerators 2007/6/18 19:10
Gary,

As the mains voltage in Japan is 100 V, it could be dangerous to use Japanese products on 220 V unless they are specifically designed for worldwide use, which is unlikely for large domestic appliances such as fridges and washing machines.
Also, by the time you consider the expense of shipping abroad, it would probably make far more sense to buy locally.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

just curious 2007/6/18 23:08
Why did I see Filipinos bringing home loads of washing machines and refridgerators from Japan? They were tumbling down the turn table at the airport. I wonder how that works.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Transformation ! 2007/7/25 17:54
I ran a Japanese rice cooker and kettle in London using a step-up transformer. The transformer was big, heavy and cost the same as the kettle. It was also difficult to find.

I've seen many "sayonara sales" where expats clear their houses for little cost. How about buying second hand and doing your own "sayonara" when you leave ?
by PM rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/25 22:37
Yes. Japanese appliances can be used with a transformer. (step-down transformer, isn't it?) When my husband and I moved to Manila, we inherited all the equipments from our predecessor. We used Japanese refrigerators (we had 2 refrigerators and 1 big freezer!), a washing machine, TVs, stereo, rice cooker and so on with transformers and they worked just fine.

Later, we moved to a condo, which had both 220V and 110V outlets. And I accidentally plugged my rice cooker to a 220V outlet and destroyed it. But, an electrician in the Philippines fixed it within a day.

Well, if you don't mind using transformers, Japanese appliances are often more sophisticated than foreign products.

BTW, in the Philippines, refrigerators/washing machines are still considered expensive and luxury items. To bring/send these things back to the family is a kind of a proof of their success abroad.
by J Lady rate this post as useful

reply to this thread