Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Do Japanese need russian Language? 2007/7/1 10:09
I am a teacher of russian and english languages. There are two questions I'm looking the answers for:
- Is there a demand for teachers of russian language?
- Is there a possibility of taking a position of an english teacher if one is not a native-speaker but has a degree in linguistics and Proficiency Certificate in English?
I would appreciate every comment and advice.
Thank You!
by Monetto  

Hmm.. 2007/8/20 01:31
Hey there.
I am fluent in the Russian language ( I was born in St.Petersburg) and I have been living in the United states for roughly ten years. My English dialect is at native perfection, meaning I have no accent.
I have been looking into this matter as well.
Many articles (online and in magazines) have stated that many Japanese are very much interested in the Russian culture/language. However I do not think that many (public) schools in Japan offer Russian as a basic curriculum to their students. English is a very important subject in all Japanese schools, so your best bet would be to teach English through exchange-esque programs such as JET.
by `Drey rate this post as useful

RU: not so much. EN: depends on passport 2007/8/21 00:09
Russian: The demand exists, but it is limited to big cities and universities, and seems well covered by Russians living there. F.ex. there is a department of Russian language in Osaka university, and I know one Russian teaching at Kyoto University part-time. It doesn't seem that every university has Russian lanuage department, and moreover, I've never seen any private Russian school advertisement (leave alone job offers). There is some demand for Russian speaking tour guides (English is a plus, of course), but this is seasonal work.

As for English, your chances of getting hired as a teacher depend rather on your so-called ''nationality'' (read: citizenship) than on your language skills. If you possess the ''right'' one (read: from English-speaking country), then you'll be recognized as a native speaker as soon as you're able to communicate in English, and a college degree will suit most schools. Don't consider this a discrimination, it's simple business logic. Just look at a typical school advertisement: ''Our school has XX American, XX British, XX Australian teachers, come to study English with us!'', any questions left? Yes, of course there are exceptions (f.ex. British Council), they are pretty picky about language skills and teaching background. But I don't think they will prefer Russian over British. And one more thing, for those who don't know: the holders of the above passports do not need to get a work permit - there are ''working holiday'' mutual agreements between Japan and above mentioned countries.

Conclusion: it will take a lot of efforts to get a language-teaching job in Japan, even if you're here and do not need working visa sponsorship.
by RussianGaijin rate this post as useful

Northern Japan 2007/8/21 09:13
Hi,
As for the demand for Russian language, I heard that some high schools in northern Japan( Aomori/Hokkaido prefecture)offer an elective Russian class. It might be worth checking.

by Nomie rate this post as useful

Thank You 2007/8/25 00:03
I would like to thank everyone who helped me to answer my questions. I appreciate it greatly!
by Monetto rate this post as useful

reply to this thread