Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

B.A./university programs for Japanese... 2007/7/11 11:30
Hello to all ...
Anyways, I am a 19 year old currently attending community college in the U.S. to get some BS courses out of the way for university. I am also going to begin self studying Japanese at home. I am planning on doing something involved with photography or computer art design. I would also like to double major in Japanese as well, to have a somewhat rounded skill set of cultural and language knowledge once I arrive in Japan. My issue though, is finding some of the best Japanese programs at Universities in the U.S. Are any U.S. universities highly touted as having good degree programs for Japanese?? Any in the U.S. where you will have a high chance of being able to meet and practice with native speakers? I would also like to study abroad, but I am having difficulty finding online resources for answers to these questions. I am asking you guys first hand as you have experience in learning the language. I would very much appreciate you help and ideas..
by Steven  

.... 2007/8/18 17:38
I was also wondering about this... No one has any feedback?
by Gear rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/18 21:00
I think that most of the non-Japanese people answering questions here regularly aren't American, hence the lack of answers. Wish I could help, but I'm from New Zealand.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/19 02:24
Are any U.S. universities highly touted as having good degree programs for Japanese??

I'm in the US. Most US universities aren't touted *primarily for their great Japanese programs, why? Because there's no demand for it.

That said, many universities do offer programs in either East Asian studies with Majors/Minors in Japanese.

Good thing you plan on doing atleast a double major, if you can't do Japanese stick to your primary major, because having a major in Japanese isn't going to gar as far as a degree in say photography or art design.

Any in the U.S. where you will have a high chance of being able to meet and practice with native speakers?

Most Japanese students who are studying in the US don't attend US universities for their Japanese programs, therefore its highly unlikely you'll find them in your Japanese language classes etc.
by John rate this post as useful

ucb/ucla? 2007/8/19 04:51
Just attend a reasonable large college in California.

You'll find a Japanese program in the college and some Japanese students in other departments. California is the most popular place for Japanese studying here. Also for historical reason there are many Japanese Americans and thus it's likely that the Japanese program is relatively good.
by anoir rate this post as useful

same as California 2007/8/19 05:12
Universities in Washington state are another good idea for the same reasons that anoir mentioned above.
by chan_konabe rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/19 06:04
Some notes, just because someone is Japanese American, doesn't necessarily mean they speak or know Japanese at all.

Also for actual Japanese students in a university in another department or doing other majors, they may or may not want to be bothered by people wanting to speak and practice to them in Japanese, as much as english speakers in Japan more or less hate to be pestered by people wanting to practice their english on them.
by John rate this post as useful

John is in the US 2007/8/19 07:22
Oop, sorry John, my post was inaccurate then. At least Steven and Gear got some answers now!
by Sira rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/19 10:17
Check out Ohio State University's Dept. of East Asian Language and Literature.
by AK rate this post as useful

reply to this thread