Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

prepaid cards - tokyo,osaka.kyoto 2007/7/16 16:43
hi,i would like to know if there is ONE prepaid card for travelling by subways,jr trains and railways, within Tokyo, Osaka and Kyoto? is there a such prepaid card that i can used within this three cities? thanks
by lisa21  

... 2007/7/21 12:31
No, there is currently no such card.

Suica:
JR in Tokyo: YES
non-JR in Tokyo: YES
JR in Osaka/Kyoto: YES
non-JR in Osaka/Kyoto: NO

Pasmo:

Icoca:
non-JR in Tokyo: NO
non-JR in Osaka/Kyoto: YES (excl. buses in Kyoto)

Surutto Kansai Card:
JR in Tokyo: NO
JR in Osaka/Kyoto: NO
non-JR in Osaka/Kyoto: YES (incl. buses in Kyoto)

I recommend to use Suica for transportation in Tokyo and JR trains in Osaka/Kyoto and to use the Surutto Kansai Card for non-JR transportation in Osaka/Kyoto.
by Uji rate this post as useful

kintetsu line 2007/8/15 16:16
Does the Icoca cover Kintetsu nara train lines portion in osaka?
by Amelia rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/16 08:25
Yes, Icoca can be used on the entire Kintetsu network (as far as Nagoya!).

. 2007/8/16 09:20
Hey Uji, Pasmo works on Icoca? Its my understanding that it won't be until around 2008 when this will happen.

You can understand my confusion when Icoca works with Suica but not Pasmo, and Icoca works with PiTaPa but not Suica @_@_@_@

I believe it isn't until 2008 when they all work that out and everything in theory should work with each other.
by John rate this post as useful

correction 2007/8/16 10:23
No, you are right, John.

Here is the correct version:

Suica:

Pasmo:

Icoca:
non-JR in Osaka/Kyoto: YES (excl. buses in Kyoto)

Surutto Kansai Card:
JR in Tokyo: NO
non-JR in Osaka/Kyoto: YES (incl. buses in Kyoto)

Where to buy Icoca 2007/8/23 14:17
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Do I buy Icoca from Midori no madoguchi in JR stations in Osaka?

. 2007/8/23 14:36
You can purchase them at vending machines in the JR service area that is on the Icoca network (they're usually the touchscreen ones that say ICOCA on them). Remember the initial cost is 2000yen, 500yen for the card so you get a 1500yen credit.

Very Helpful! 2007/8/24 02:29
That list is very helpful and helped me understand a lot of things I was confused about.

But does the Icoca card have more train coverage than the Surutto Kansai Card for Kintetsu ?

The way I see it is that if you want to be able to cover all areas you only need a Suica and Surutto Kansai Card unless Surutto covers less rail areas than Icoca.
by Misa rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/24 04:19
Surutto kansai has more coverage then JR Icoca and PiTiPa, namely it covers more bus and private rail systems (local buses are a major part of transportation in the area)

Actually you might be better off with an Icoca (instead of Suica) and Suratto kansai. Icoca covers PiTaPa networks (Suica can't). Then Surutto Kansai covers most of the rest if you can't use Icoca.

Or yes you can use Suica for JR only and Surutto Kansai for the rest that works too.

. 2007/8/24 13:55
Thanks John!

reply to this thread