Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

walking in Tokyo 2007/7/19 03:04
hi,

I am trying to plan a schedule for a 3-day tour of Tokyo. I know in some cases it is quicker to catch the subway/rail, but are any of the following places close enough that people just walk to the next destination when sightseeing? Does anyone know the approximate time it would take by walk for these places, supposing that I do not stop along the way?

Tsukijishijo to Shimbashi station
Shimbashi to Ginza
Ginza to Tokyo station
Asakusa to Ueno
Ueno to Akihabara
Akihabara to Asakusa
Ikebukuro to Shinjuku
Shinjuku to Harajuku
Harajuku to Shibuya
Shibuya to Ebisu
Ebisu to Roppongi

thank you!
by kaj  

... 2007/7/22 12:08
Tsukijishijo to Shimbashi station: about 10-15 minutes on foot
Shimbashi to Ginza: about 10-15 minutes on foot
Ginza to Tokyo station: about 10 minutes on foot
Asakusa to Ueno: about 30-45 minutes on foot
Ueno to Akihabara: 20-30 minutes on foot
Akihabara to Asakusa: about 60-75 minutes in foot
Ikebukuro to Shinjuku: about 70-90 minutes on foot
Shinjuku to Harajuku: about 30-40 minutes
Harajuku to Shibuya: about 20 minutes
Shibuya to Ebisu: about 20 minutes
Ebisu to Roppongi: about 45 minutes
by Uji rate this post as useful

I'm subway. 2007/8/28 10:53
Uji,
as always, great answers to a great question.

I think I will take the subway. Just thinking about all this walking is making me tired. I might even get lost.
by Beyonce rate this post as useful

Fast 2007/8/28 12:46
I walk faster than the average person in Japan, and I have walked some of those routes:

Shimbashi to Ginza: about 6-8 minutes on foot
Ginza to Tokyo station: about 7-8 minutes on foot
Asakusa to Ueno: about 20 minutes on foot
Ueno to Akihabara: 15 minutes on foot
Harajuku to Shibuya: about 10-12 minutes
by Sandy rate this post as useful

walking in Tokyo 2007/8/28 15:20
Beyonce,
the JR Yamanote loop line goes to many areas you want to see and give you a good view of the city. You do need to take the subway, or walk, to go to a few places, from Ueno to Asakusa for example.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

Walkin 2007/8/29 04:03
don't fear a little walking either. For instance, catching the Yamanote line from Akihabara to Ueno is just silly if you aren't carrying much. It would take longer to walk to and through the JR stations than make the walk.

That said, the Yamanote and subway lines can be helpful in knowing where you are at if you are not familiar with Tokyo. With expirience you can walk alot!
by DRJ rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/29 04:11
As I mentioned in another post using the subway or using JR would be dependent on where one stayed or where was was at and where one wanted to go. Yes the Yamanote Line connects many places, but it doesn't do you a bit of good if you're start point isn't on the Yamanote line. Luckily many of the places you mentioned are very well covered by the subway system. You might endup using the subway more often then JR trains. But again it is all depedent on where you start from and where you end up at. If JR is the best way take JR, if subway take the subway.
by John rate this post as useful

walking to ryogoku 2007/8/29 04:34
I will be staying in Tawaramachi and want to visit Ryogoku. I was planning on walking to Kuramae then catch the Oedo line to Ryogoku, but should I just walk there instead?

Also, what time should I get there in the morning to see sumo practice (this website just says ''early morning'')? What time do restaurants that serve chanko nabe open?
by . rate this post as useful

Walk from Tawaramachi to Ueno? 2007/9/28 18:47
Hi,

Is it possible to walk from Tawaramachi to Ueno? How long would it take?

Want to know if we can save some costs by walking. :)

Thanks!!!
by Francis rate this post as useful

reply to this thread