Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Buying a phone to use in Canada 2007/7/20 03:40
I just have a question about possibly buying a cellphone over in Japan to use here in Canada. I'm living in Canada but I have family living over in Japan right now, and so I was wondering if there are any Japanese cellphone companies/specific cellphones they could get in Japan for me to use here in Canada (Vancouver). I'm hoping there's something I could get, without the price being too outrageous. If anyone knows of specific cellphones that'd work, or what I need to look for for the cellphone to be compatible with a cellphone company here in Canada (say Rogers, for instance) that would be awesome, please let me know! Thanks!
by losthighway  

Afraid not 2007/7/25 21:12
Japan doesn't employ the usual GSM network standard used in just about every country in the world, instead they use proprietary technology unique to Japan. What this means is that Japanese phones don't work anywhere in the world except Japan and vice versa.
by TestType rate this post as useful

WRONG. 2007/7/25 22:05
Japan doesn't employ the usual GSM network standard used in just about every country in the world, instead they use proprietary technology unique to Japan. What this means is that Japanese phones don't work anywhere in the world except Japan and vice versa.

There are many cellphones available in Japan which has compatibility with both GSM and 3G. (I've got one, and always use it in the US, Europe, and South Africa as well.)

The problem is, you can buy the cellphones only through mobile phone company or its agency... They are "locked" and special knowledge/technique to unlock it so that you can use it with your local services...
There might be shops selling on ly the phones but I have no idea where such shops are found.
by . rate this post as useful

reply to this thread