Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Earthquakes and nuclear safety 2007/7/23 22:13
I am planning a two-week holiday to Japan, but the news coverage about the poor safety of nuclear power facilities there is making me think twice. The recent earthquake has caused radioactive emissions, and even the International Atomic Agency is investigating. Should I be scared? Apparently Tokyo is waiting of the big one.
by Justin  

Serious? 2007/7/24 09:18
Justin,

There's a chance you could get hit by lightning too. If that worries you, you might be better off staying at home.
Personally, I would be more worried about the small but not insignificant chance of travel plans being disrupted by a typhoon.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

earthquakes etc 2007/7/24 12:59
Anyone who visits Japan just has to deal with the idea that it is the most earthquake- prone country in the world. I felt another small one in Tokyo just an hour ago- we get them all the time.

Tokyo has been waiting for the big one for years, as have Los Angeles, San Francisco etc and yet still people go/ live there.

Japan's nuclear safety record is not good, but even environmentalists say the amount of radiation released at Kashiwazaki was minimal. The government is also now looking at implementing far stricter regulations for nuclear power plants so it should get safer from now on.

I would say it is statistically more likely that you would get hit by a bus in your home town than die in an earthquake while visiting Japan.

I have lived in Tokyo over 9 years and am still alive- I realise that there might be a catastrophic earthquake at some point while I am here, but the same is possible in my home town in New Zealand. It's better not to worry about things like that in my opinion.
by Sira rate this post as useful

Do it!! 2007/7/24 17:21
I say you only live once so go to Japan and don't let little things like this worry you, yes understanding the dangers will help you on your travels, so smarten up and enjoy :D
by Transformer Simon rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/28 08:38
This morning's NHK NEWS said that Foreign Affairs Ministry issued a statement about the accident. Apparently, the Ministry received lots of inquiries from other countries.

http://www.mofa.go.jp/announce/announce/2007/7/1174609_830.html
by J Lady rate this post as useful

reply to this thread