Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Vacation and Hopefully Residence 2007/7/24 18:05
Ive been a long time user of this website and so far its been good to me, so I have a long drawn out question for you guys.

I plan in Visiting Japan in the next 3 years (After I Graduate my first College) How much money should I bring and where should I stay (By the time I go I Should know about 3 years worth of Japanese) I would like to stay at a Ryokan but im afraid they do not speak english (Im bringing friends that wont speak any japanese). My plan right now is to stay for at least a week and bring about 3 to 5K (American dollars, per person) Of course any insight is greatly appreciated.

After I graduate my First College I intend on either going to a Technical School or a Local University (Both Well known universities) I intend on getting a Bachelors Degree in networking systems and Administration (Each college has a different program, the University offers the Networking problem but with a business aspect, while the tech school is straight up Networking) Im leaning towards the University because it offers a course in Japanese and they do go to Japan for a full Semester if not more. But getting back on topic, after I have my degree I want to hopefully find work in Japan under my profession, Of course im keeping my options open, I intend to either find work somewhere in the US or hopefully in Japan. Id Like to know what are the chances of me finding work under networking (And me being an American) In Japan? Id just like to know what my chances would be. Any information is appreciated, and as always thanks for the Info and Insights.

~Brandon
by Brandon  

. 2007/7/29 04:40
Chances of getting a job in your home country is highly likely, getting a job in Japan in that job field is unlikely. The mrain reason is because there is already a pool of Japanese people who are trained or could be trained to work in that field.

As for vacationing and staying at a Ryokan and worrying about the staff not being able to communicate in English, you say you should have about three years of Japanese by then, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to communicate, and if you can't there are usually ryokans that have enough experience with foreigners to accomodate you even without any language ability.
by John rate this post as useful

IT? 2007/7/29 07:14
Excuse my ignorance, but is "networking" a branch of IT? If so, I know a lot of foreigners working in IT in Tokyo for overseas companies- HP, Cisco, Microsoft etc. Many of these people don't speak that much Japanese.

A few were transferred from overseas but most are local hires. If you have the right experience and qualifications I believe it isn't actually that hard a field to find work in in Tokyo.
by Sira rate this post as useful

networking 2007/7/29 11:53
Yes Networking is part of the IT Field, it more referred to as Computer Networking. I intend on getting a Bachelors in this field and alot of the certifications that come with it. I know a Job is Japan is unlikely, but with some Japanese Language experience (Possibly 3 to 5 years) Im hoping it increases my chances. If not I have plenty of back up plans
by Brandon rate this post as useful

quite possible. 2007/7/29 15:52
I have to disagree with John and say that an IT job isn't that unlikely at all, as long as you meet the requirements for qualifications and experience. You would be best to get a few years experience in the field in your home country before coming to Japan.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/29 16:02
What I'm saying is that getting a job back at home (in his case the US) would be vastly easier, higher paying, and much much better room for advacement, ie a long life career chances, then if attempted in Japan.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread