Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Climbing Mt. Fuji during the day? 2007/7/27 05:27
My fiance and I are going to Japan next week and really want to climb Mt. Fuji, but everywhere we read talks about climbing it in the late afternoon and spending the night at the top or climbing it at night to get to the top by sunrise. This may seem like a stupid question, but we haven't read anywhere that you can climb it in the morning and get to the top in the afternoon. Can you? I understand that most people do it to see the sunrise, so maybe that is why no one talks about climbing it during the day. We just wanted to do it all in one day so we could see as much of Japan as possible. Anyone know? Other than missing the sunrise whats the down side or climbing it during the day?
by Angela  

Should be Fine 2007/7/30 10:13
It's not unheard of to climb during the day. It's just that most people want to be there for sunrise.

Maybe you could climb during early afternoon and reach the summit by sunset, which I think is the most popular alternative.
by Matt G rate this post as useful

climbing Mt. Fuji during the day 2007/7/31 12:31
I climbed Mt. Fuji during the day and I don't feel like I missed anything. We started mid-morning and got to the top sometime in the afternoon, then back down the same day. I can't remember the times more specifically, sorry, it's been a few years. Anyway, we climbed on a cloudy day and the best part was at a certain point we hiked through the clouds, and suddenly saw the brightest bluest sky ever.
I don't think I'd have slept particularly well at the huts and I'm glad I didn't hike up in the dark - yeah, sometimes I think, ooh, sunrise, how cool, but there is no incentive I can think of to get me to go do it again.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

From 5th Station 2007/7/31 15:00
I guided foreigners to climb Mt. Fuji twice. If the weather is normal, you can get to the top and climb down from/to the 5th Station within 5-6 hours surely. (up:4-5 hrs, down:1 hr) Don't eat too much before climbing to avoid vomiting due to altitude sickness. When you feel hungry while climbing, eat someting sweet or fruits and drink water little by little.
by Craftsman rate this post as useful

During the day it will be hot. 2007/8/1 17:29
The only issue I see through the day is heat. I got quite sunburned and by the way I took about 7 hours up and 3 hours down. Those who do it in 5 and One are young and fit!

So good luck!

If you are interested here is my webpage on our climb: http://www.michaelpam.com/Japancities/FujiClimb.html
by michael Riley rate this post as useful

reply to this thread