Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Field trip to Japan next summer 2007/7/28 01:29
I am taking about 15 students (high school and colledge) to Japan next summer. Could you look at the schedule and see if this is enough time at each city?
1. 6/15-1st night at Tokyo after arrival from US.
2. 6/16 early morning to Kyoto and stay 2 nights
3. 6/18~20 (early morning)Hakone, Fuji Mt.
4. 6/20~22 Tokyo (leaving from Narita on 22nd)
Thank you very much for your time!
by Noriko R  

... 2007/7/30 10:38
Enough time for what? The suggested itinerary is fast paced. It is okay for people who like to see a lot of places superficially in a short time frame vs. people who want prefer to see fewer places but in more depth.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/30 10:41
My personal suggestion would be drop Mt. Fuji but hakone is fine, drop 2 days in Kyoto, stay in Tokyo region, but maybe add a day trip out to Kamakura/Enoshima or to Nikko. So you're staying in the Tokyo region the entire time, but still seeing a lot of different things.
by John rate this post as useful

1 week? 2007/7/30 13:51
I would save some travel hassle and money by skipping Hakone/Fuji. More than likely, the area is going to be clouded in as late June if not rainy, is cloudy. You could then concentrate on half your time in Tokyo and the other half in the Kyoto area going on some excursions out of the city for day trips if you wanted. In Tokyo you could take day trips to Nikko or Kamakura, and in Kyoto, you could go to Nara or Himeji if you just wanted to cover a couple of more places. Using the Shinkansen from Kyoto, it is possible to get to Hiroshima, see Peace Park, and stop off at Himeji Castle on the way there or back to Kyoto.

Loading luggage and 15 students from place to place almost everyday takes a lot of time. Pick a couple of places to use as bases where luggage can be left and then you only have to worry about the students.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

Thank you very much 2007/7/31 00:41
Thank you very much for your feedback on our trip. I will drop the trip to Mr.Fuji and Hakone like you suggested and devide our time in Kyoto and Tokyo. Do you think it is worth buying Railroad Pass for one week?
by Noriko R rate this post as useful

rail pass 2007/7/31 06:30
the price of a JR 7 days pass is equivalent to a return trip Tokyo-Kyoto by Shinkansen (Hikari not Nozomi). any other trip by train that you make during these 7 days is a bonus, so yes it is worthwhile and als omore practical than buying lots of single tickets, especially as a group..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/31 06:41
Again depends on your priorties, but if you have one week, I would just take out Kyoto altogether. While not a 100% replacement for missing Kyoto, Nikko/Kamakura will give you similar feel of temples and shrines. The main bonus to this is you can stick your stay in the Tokyo area and visit these places from Tokyo as day trips. Keeping in mind it will be students budgets, it keeps costs down a bit as well.
by John rate this post as useful

Another opinion 2007/7/31 11:32
Noriko,

I would tend to agree with John about leaving out Kyoto altogether and just making a day trip to somewhere like Kamakura. For that age group, I think traipsing around all the temples in Kyoto can get boring very quickly.
The only drawback is that your group will then miss out on riding the shinkansen, which I imagine many people would be looking forward to. You would also get a glimpse of Mount Fuji from the shinkansen - if the weather is in your favour.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Tokyo Hakone Kyoto 2007/7/31 14:52
May I suggest:
June 2008
15 Sunday arrival Narita validate 7 day JR Pass, by Narita Express to Tokyo afternoon for those who are fit visit Harajuku ( and Meji Shrine )
16 all day Tokyo most innercity travel by JR train, to Asakusa subway from Ueno
17 all day Tokyo with Odaiba, why not to offer them one act of kabuki early evening?
http://www.shochiku.co.jp/play/kabukiza/theater/index.html
18 main luggage stored at accommodation, early morning by shinkansen and one small 3 night bag per person to Odawara, store bags there at small lockers, Hakone Weekday Pass, make round with mountain train, ropeway, funicular, visit of the boiling earth area, fancy ship over lake ashi ( and only on a very clear day view of Fuji san ) end at Odawara, if time allows Odawara castle near station, pick up bags and at 16.10 h or 18.10 h by direct hikari to Kyoto arrive 18.20 h / 20.20 h.
19 Kyoto Nijo jo with garden, Golden Temple, Kiyomizu dera (= temples where there is some 'action' )
20 Kyoto Most of the day Hozu Gawa River Trip if you need action for the teens again
21 till midday in Kyoto then by hikari shinkansen back to Tokyo, on a clear day chance to see Fuji san during train ride, arrive afternoon, same accommodation as before, last shopping and sightseeing at Akihabara = last day of 7 day JR Pass
22 by cheaper JR local train or Keisei train to Narita airport - departure

by Peter rate this post as useful

Thank you so much 2007/8/1 00:37
Thank you sooooo much for all of you taking some time to give me the great suggestions! I couldn't plan this trip without you all. Looks like I should rethink about this trip considering all of your suggestions. Good thing that I have almost a year to plan!!! May I ask more questions later? Thank you so much!
by NorikoR rate this post as useful

reply to this thread