Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

University questions 2007/7/29 04:52
Konnichiwa. Watashi wa Geridenu Seron desu.

I'm planning to go to college in Japan. The Universities I am interested in are Tokyo, Osaka, and Kyoto (as Glenn Beck said "the major 3"). I know most of my questions could probably be answered by looking on the university's websites, but those sites are torturous on my 3rd world dial-up. :(
So, for lack of smooth sentence transitions, my questions will be presented in ascending numerical order.

1. How would I get accepted into the college? I'm an average student on American scales, but how would that stack against Japanese standards? Or, will they even look at my high school record?
2. How would I get accepted socially? I've heard that caucasians tend to be well respected as foreigners over there, but there is still the matter of the inferiority complex. Any tips on getting past this?
3. Citizenship or visa? I plan on working and living in japan. Should I go through all the hurdles of getting a visa and drivers license and all, or would it just be easier to get naturalized?

by Sloan121  

. 2007/7/30 11:15
1. How would I get accepted into the college? I'm an average student on American scales, but how would that stack against Japanese standards? Or, will they even look at my high school record?

Yes they WILL review your academic record, just like any university in the United States would too.

Along with your academic record, you'll need to demostrate Japanese language skill (obviously) if you plan on attending a real deal Japanese university. Getting into Japanese universities is really competative so grades, entrance examinations etc matter. If you plan on applying as a regular student.

2. How would I get accepted socially? I've heard that caucasians tend to be well respected as foreigners over there, but there is still the matter of the inferiority complex. Any tips on getting past this?

Depends on who you run into really on how you're treated. Students tend to be more liberal and open minded, but it all depends on who you run into.

3. Citizenship or visa? I plan on working and living in japan. Should I go through all the hurdles of getting a visa and drivers license and all, or would it just be easier to get naturalized?

You are confused, You need a visa to be in Japan in the first place, you can't live work or do anything without a visa first. Naturalization/citizenship can come 10+ years after living in Japan (can be faster if you are married to a national).
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread