Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Moving to Japan 2007/7/29 19:56
Allright I have 2 questoins, you will help me out ALLOT by giving an answer to them;)

1) How much money do I have to take with me to Japan for 1 year? minimum and maximum ammount please.

2) How do I become a citizen in a quick and legit way?

Please answer these questions you will do me a HUGE favour;).

-Farkad
by Farkad  

. 2007/7/30 11:32
If you utilize the search function, searching things such as "how much money" and "citizenship" I think all your questions are answered.
by John rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/30 11:34
How much money do I have to take with me to Japan for 1 year? minimum and maximum ammount please.

There are no minimums and maximums. It also depends on what you are doing in Japan and on the level of your lifestyle. Expenses of one year in Japan can be as low as one million yen if you live a very basic lifestyle.

How do I become a citizen in a quick and legit way?

By being married to a Japanese spouse for more than three years and having made some great contributions to the Japanese nation. Otherwise, it is going to take 5-10+ years.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2007/7/30 15:55
You ought to be more specific. Giving us information such as where you are planning to live (In a house with someone? Rent an apartment?) and what exactly you will do there.
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

Sorry 2007/7/30 16:06
Sorry guys,

I have not been tyo specific now was I? lol
Anyway I'm planning to be an english Teacher and after 6 months a private Teacher.
I'm moving to Japan with my friend, we will share all expenses and we will rent a appartment.
We are planning to move to Tokyo or just outside Tokyo we can afford it but we just need some kind of number of how much we will need.

-Farkad
by Farkad rate this post as useful

Hmm 2007/7/30 16:33
Do you realize that you need to have at least a bachelors to move there?
by akz rate this post as useful

Well 2007/7/30 17:07
When I'm done studying English at Kingston University I will move to Japan. (with bachelors do you mean a degree of some kind?

... 2007/7/30 17:19
Well you need a college degree of somesort. Google Japanese worker Visa.. you need to have a college degree of sorts as well as a sponsor (not required but helpful) BUT if you're going to teach English, it's probable that you will have one before going. As far as moving to Tokyo.. ouch. I was looking into Tokyo Apartments and they're crazy.. BUT if you do apply to Novagroup it's possible they after you apply and choose a location near tokyo and they accept you will be granted an actual apartment! (not large but a start) I'm no expert on lliving in japan, but I'm goin back to work for about two years or so.. I have a Japanese wife and am 22 so, I got a lucky break.. I can get a spouse visa and work. Anyway, if you have a college degree of anykind ( bachelors is fine) then you should be good. It's just time for you to contact a japanese immigration office as well as Novagroup or something like that.. Seriously look into Novagroup.
by Compai rate this post as useful

Quick 2007/7/30 17:35

2) How do I become a citizen in a quick and legit way?

Why the rush?
by Stacy rate this post as useful

Work Visa 2007/7/30 17:43
A bachelors is a 2-year degree if I'm not mistaken. :)
by niko-chan (nicole) rate this post as useful

Why Quick? 2007/7/30 18:01
Actually I don't know but I just wanted to see what my opstions were;).
I'm going to get the highest Degree in my English University so I think that wil be good enough;)

Language Schools 2007/7/30 20:16
You do realise that if you go over there with a Japanese language school like nova, you'll have to sign a minimum of a 12 month contract? The company will sort your visa out, but I've heard they can make things very difficult for you if you bail out half way through your contract. As for getting set up in Japan, the main expense (if you're not going with a language school) is getting a place to live. When you ask how much you need to live, are you talking about how much you should take with you on top of what you earn as spending money, or what sort of salary you need to make in order to live?
by I'm With Stupid rate this post as useful

/ 2007/7/30 20:19
I know that thank you;).
But I mean how much should I take with me to Japan so I can pay stuff like a place to live and food.

-Farkad

Bachelor = 4 years in US 2007/7/30 20:31
Nicole, I'm afraid you are mistaken. In the US a Bachelor's degree is 4 years. It is the Associate's degree that is 2 years. Perhaps it would be best for you to check this kind of thing before you reply to questions here so people are not misled. It is not possible to get a work visa in Japan with a 2 year degree.

In Australia, NZ and the UK most Bachelor's degrees take 3 years and are acceptable to Immigration.

I have a 3-year Bachelor's degree from a New Zealand university but all the Americans I know here have 4 year degrees. I also know of people who have applied with Associate's degrees and been turned down.

To the original poster, for much more detailed info on teaching in Japan than this travel site can provide, check out www.eslcafe.com Japan Forum- you will find answers to all your questions there.
by Sira rate this post as useful

/ 2007/7/30 20:33
Thanks allot Sira=)

By the way I'll have a 3 Year Bachelors degree in the UK=)

-Farkad

Sorry Nicole 2007/7/30 20:57
I guess I sounded a bit harsh in my last post. I know you are just trying to help. What I wanted to say was that it is important to be absolutely certain of information about visa requirements etc. before you reply to someone's question. The same with giving information about Japanese language.

Keep up the good work, you have helped a lot of people on this forum I'm sure :)
by Sira rate this post as useful

It depends 2007/7/30 21:00
It depends entirely on what your plans are. If you go with one of the big international schools, you won't need that much, because accomodation is sorted for you. If you plan on doing it all privately, and getting your own accomodation, then there's the cost of security deposits and arrangement fees, (which work out at about the cost of 3 months rent from what I've heard) and they're obviously going to want rent up front, whereas Nova and the like will link it to your pay.

Of course there's nothing to stop you going with a language school flat, then moving out half way through the year, once you're a bit more established. A lot of people do that since private is usually cheaper in the long term.

/ 2007/7/30 21:03
Thanks allot I'm With Stupid=D

I've got 1 more question: What's the best town for me to live in as a teacher?

I don't know 2007/7/30 21:06
One with a job.

reply to this thread