Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Schedule for 2 weeks? 2007/7/30 01:10
Hello,

I am planning to go to Japan fromthe UK in January/February 2008 . I need some help with my schedule. I am trying to book flights and I can't decide whether I should fly into Tokyo (and pay the extra money) or fly to Osaka (and save myself some spending money). Any opinions?

My schedule so far is (it is subject to changes - please advise).

Day 1: Fly London Heathrow to Osaka
Day 2: Arrive in Osaka- mid afternoon). Transfer to Kyoto
Day 3: Kyoto
Day 4: Kyoto
Day 5: Kyoto
Day 6: Transfer from Kyoto to Tokyo
Day 7: Tokyo
Day 8: Tokyo
Day 9: Transfer to Niseko from Tokyo (any advice on flight times and cheapest flights is much appreciated)
Day 10: Skiing in Niseko
Day 11: Skiing in Niseko
Day 12: Skiing in Niseko
Day 13: Skiing in Niseko
Day 14: Sapporo Ice festival
Day 15: Depart Sapporo for Osaka
Day 16: Fly back to London

Is this a good use of time? I am aware that I will miss out on so much of Japan but my time is limited. Can you suggest if this schedule is ok?

Any ideas on places we could squeeze in to the schedule?

by LLH  

2 weeks 2007/7/30 16:59
You are going to Japan, a fascinating country with a very old culture so different from the one in Europe so the obvious answer is to forget about going to the skiing place that you mentionned, as going to that ski resort, most likely by plane, and back will be pricey, and the skiing days make you miss a lot of what is special in Japan. This doesn't means tha tyou can' t ski---read below--..spend 1/2 of your time in the Kansai (Kyoto, Nara, Himeji, Osaka, Kobe--YOU CAN Ski IN KOBE..) and the other 1/2 in the Kanto (Tokyo, Nikko, Kamakura---and you can also ski in the Kanto). I know that you will hate my suggestion but do think about it seriously..
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/7/31 02:39
Thanks for your suggestion and I willtake it into consideration. Do you know what the skiing is like in the places you mentioned? The reason why we chose Niseko is that wea re really in to skiing and we go every year. We heard that Hokkaido has the best powder snow in the world. I wil lhave a look in the places you mentioned. Thank you for the advice :o)
by LLH rate this post as useful

skiing in the Kansai 2007/7/31 06:24
here is some more info about skiing in the Kansai:
this may not be up to your high standards but at least you could do some skiing and enjoy the old Japan. Next time you could do nothing but skiing!
NARA: Dorogawa Ski Area is an out-of-the-way spot for skiing in the Kansai region. The location of the ski area is very convenient for tourists who want to enjoy both skiing and hot springs, since Dorogawa Hot Springs and many Japanese-style hotels are located near the ski area.
Dorogawa Ski Area is very popular among skiers as a great skiing spot in the Kansai region due to its spacious ski slope and the highest-quality powder snow.
KOBE An artificial snow ski slope located on Mt. Rokko
Mt. Rokko Artificial Snow Ski Area, located on Mt. Rokko, is easy to access from the Kobe and Osaka areas. In the ski area you can easily and freely enjoy skiing and snowboarding (however, snowboarding is allowed only during the evening). At gSnow Land,h an exclusive ski slope for sledding, families including those with small children can safely enjoy sledding and other activities in the snow. This facility is open only in winter.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

go skiing! 2007/7/31 12:24
If you are into skiing I would totally keep your skiing agenda intact. If you find that your small taste of Japan makes you want to come back, then by all means, plan another trip, but you might find that you have just enough sightseeing - you're not going to be able to see EVERYTHING anyway - and then the skiing should be great, from what I've heard.
Japan will be here indefinitely. Someday your knees will tell you, 'no more skiing', and then you can walk sedately around the temples and shrines.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Good idea! 2007/7/31 20:11
Spendthrif Iike your answer. I can always visit Japan again in the future. Do you hvae nay recommendatiosn for hotels/lodges in Niseko? Thnaks for all the great advice :o). I am very excited now about visting Japan!

... 2007/8/2 10:16
By all means, visit Hokkaido! Niseko is considered a power snow paradise. Among Hokkaido's resorts, Niseko is particularly popular not only due to the high quality snow but also the wide area backcountry skiing options. The snow in other regions of Japan is not as good as in Hokkaido. Tha Kansai region, specifically, is not recommended for either snow quality or resorts.

I think, it is a very good itinerary.

As for air tickets, I recommend to use air passes:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2364.html

Also, I have heard that special Kyoto/Niseko travel packages will be offered this winter, but the side trip to Tokyo would not be covered.
by Uji rate this post as useful

special offers? 2007/8/3 02:27
Thanks for the web iste address I will check it out. The special offers you mentioned? What do you mean? Thank you

reply to this thread