Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is it My Computer Or What? 2007/7/30 10:24
I e-mail people that live in Japan and sometimes when they try to send me messages in Japanse they never appear,they appear as little random symbols, is it just yahoo or my computer.

Do i need to download something?The only way i can see it is if they send an attchment. But its only on yahoo I can see the Kanj and stuff on this site so I don't think its my computer? I don't know...
by I need Help?!  

Re: Is it My Computer Or What? 2007/7/30 15:58
Since you can view attachments just fine, I'm sure that you have installed the Japanese language extensions just fine. I'm not familiar with Yahoo mail, but it is possible that Yahoo mail ignores the encoding information enclosed with the email and messes up the data, or it is possible that the other party's email doesn't include this encoding information. On Japanese computers the default encoding is set to Japanese and therefore it will work fine, but on your computer it is probably set to a Western language. Hotmail and Google mail do handle the encoding correctly and you might want to give them a try to see ifthat solves your problem.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/30 21:35
Generally speaking Yahoo mail sucks. Yahoo sites suck. Heaps of bugs everywhere and on a slow enough connection, one can't even connect to Yahoo mail properly.

So I'm not not surprised you have problems reading some characters especially if they're in the headings/subject line too.

You will have to change encoding from your firefox/mozilla/I.E. to Japanese manually. If that doesnt solve the problem, go to Control Panel and set Region to Japan and with languages enable Japan. Region one is a stupid one since all the search engines read off that and will make your searches Japan biased, although it solves some problems for me previously. Now I just use a Japanese OS on a separate pc.
by Blanc rate this post as useful

Ohhh Ok ^^ 2007/7/31 02:23
Thank you it probabaly is yahoo because i sent them some kanji on the e mail too and they said they couldnt read it
by Carol rate this post as useful

. 2007/7/31 03:17
Actually I use yahoo a lot and never had a problem with it. My computer is using American English Windows XP Professional with Japanese language pack from microsoft installed. Interestingly Yahoo Japan is a very large market in Japanese emails, so check your computers encoding to see if its encoding correctly.
by John rate this post as useful

So... 2007/7/31 03:19
OK so how do i do that? i'd figure since i got my computer like a couple weeks ago i shouldnt have a problem with that sort of thing since its brand new haha guess im wrong

download 2007/7/31 07:55
you can download language pack from micosoft or you could up grade to windows vista which has it all bulit in but that could be expensive
by luke rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/1 03:25
To read Japanese email just choose any of Japanese encodings in your web browser.

To send Japanese email, check your Yahoo mail settings so that it is sent in ISO-2022-JP encoding (apart from your browser's encoding). Default encoding is probably ISO-8859-1 (Latin-1), which doesn't work with Japanese email.

by meringue4 rate this post as useful

Hm... 2007/8/1 03:28
Ok thanks is there a way so i can write in japanese like do i download it buy it?

. 2007/8/1 11:42
If you have a new computer it should have japanese input by default, if not download from (microsoft, assuming you are using windows) Japanese input IME.

here are the details:
http://www.declan-software.com/japanese_ime/

thank you 2007/8/1 15:51
thank you much for the site ok this is off tipic nothing that has to do with Japan

but my microsoft word that i have is like a trail or something i guess i need the disk? idk is there a way i can download that too?
by carol rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/4 16:40
You have to pay if you want Microsoft Word. It is part of Microsoft's Office software.

An alternative software I use is OpenOffice, it is completely free and does most things Microsoft office does.

Thank You 2007/8/4 16:42
thank you

but writing on japanese? 2007/8/5 04:37
hi, i can see japanese characters on yahoo, on msn messenger too.. but i cant to write on japanese.. what i need to do?
by boy rate this post as useful

iMac... 2007/8/25 14:32
On a diffrent post under Entertainment I asked about lyrics. I can view everything on the page except for the lyrics. Any ideas on how I can fix this?
by Lynn rate this post as useful

I just realized how vague that is... 2007/8/25 14:38
I was looking for Sayaka Suzuki lyrics. Someone posted a site for me. I can view all of the Japanese characters except for the actual lyrics on the page. And my question is, does anyone know anything about how I can fix this so that I am able to view them? I don't have a PC, I have an iMac.
by Lynn rate this post as useful

reply to this thread