Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

First Time Traveler to Japan 2007/8/1 06:03
Hello everyone,

I will be visiting Japan for two weeks in August, from the U.S. This will be my first trip to Japan and I'll be traveling alone. I plan on traveling across Japan using the JR 7-Day Pass.

I was able to find a lot of helpful guides on Japan-Guide.com. Here's what I have planned so far:

Day 1-4: Tokyo
Day 5: Mt. Fuji
Day 6-8: Kyoto-Osaka
Day 9-10: Hiroshima
Day 11-12: Fukuoka-Hakata

Would this itinerary be good? After Fukuoka, I plan on taking the JR Beetle ferry in Hakata to Busan, South Korea. I'll be visiting South Korea for 1 week.
by CKTurbo128  

JR Pass 2007/8/2 15:17
For the 7 day JR Pass make sure you cover your long distance rides with it. So start on day leaving Tokyo in direction of Hakata. Rail Pass is NOT valid on the JR ferry Hakata - Pusan, but is valid on the very short ferry ride Miyajima guchi to Miyajima island near Hiroshima. For climbing Fuji san or visit in Hakone area for viewing Fuji san you will need additional non-JR transport.
by Peter rate this post as useful

More advice 2007/8/2 17:22
I should get a standard letter for these things. (thinks)

It does depend what you are interested in. Themeparks, history, nightlife, particular hobbies, the wierd and wonderful.

I would spend 2-3 days in Tokyo, skip Osaka and try to include to Nara and Takayama. But I like historiacal things and am not too excited by the big cities. They are all a bit same-ish. Also it takes a bit of time to get to know somewhere. An extra day in Tokyo will allow you notice more of the little things. Including another city will just be a day of travel and trying to orient yourself.

Dont get me wrong, the big city experience is worth it. Enjoy Tokyo, but get other peoples feedback about what you will really see in Osaka (except movieworld).

In Tokyo go downstairs to the basements in the Ginza department stores and check out the gift and food areas. Also go and see Shibuya and my favorite toy shop on the main street in Harajuku. (Kiddyland). - it is worth a visit. I love Gloomy bear.

Hiroshima is pretty and Miya-jima takes a full day. I really enjoyed it.

I have not travelled north of Tokyo or south of Hiroshima, but have a look at my website for ideas.

Our mothers came for 10 days and some of the things we did may be of interest.
http://www.michaelpam.com/website/JapanPhotoGalleries.html

In the end, just pick what you like to do and enjoy it. My sister enjoyed getting lost and enjoying the feeling of discovery as she came across something new, my mother wanted a list of thing to see. My mother saw more things, but both enjoyed their holidays.

cheers
michael
by Michael Riley rate this post as useful

Go to Nara! 2007/8/2 20:42
Hi There!
I would definitely spend more days in the Kyoto-Osaka Area. There is very much to do and to see there.
Particularly Nara is woth a visit! You can do this as a day trip from Kyoto or Osaka. But try to avoid a rainy day or it gets muddy.
by Nara-Fan rate this post as useful

first time in Japan 2007/8/3 02:23
I second "Nara fan"
the Kansai isn't called the craddle of Japanese cililization for nothing! there is a lot to see. I find Osaka as interesting as Tokyo and, being smaller it is easier to manage. check the following info:
Osaka: www.tourism.city.osaka.jp/en/
Kobe, Himeji: www.Hyogo-tourism.jp/english/
Kyoto: www.raku.city.kyoto.jp/sight_e.phtml
Nara: www.pref.nara.jp/nara_e/

by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

Clarification 2007/8/3 11:47
I am not saying dont go and see Osaka, I am just saying that I found Osaka very same-ish to Tokyo. What is different? It is smaller, yes but if it is still the same thing, why go. If you are visiting from overseas, will you notice the nuances or will it just seem like another big Japanese city?

I agree whole heartedly with the comments that nara, kyoto, Ise, Kobe etc are terrific.

What I am saying is that given the choice for 3 days I would spend them all in Tokyo rather than Osaka, not because Osaka is bad, or even not interesting, rather I think you get to know a city better with time and I find jumping from city to city just means that I spend more time being lost and less time enjoying the holiday.

But hey, each to their own.
by Michael Riley rate this post as useful

Advantage of Osaka 2007/8/3 13:06
1. Historical properties in Osaka are more historically important than those in Tokyo

2. Foods and cuisine in Osaka are much more delicious than those of Tokyo(unless you are a millionaire)

3. General Prices in Osaka are somewhat cheaper than those in Tokyo.

I understand first-time visiters to Japan cant avoid gravitating toward Tokyo. But the fact is almost everything is MEANINGLESSLY expensive there. Tokyo pays off only when you are a millionare.

by ... rate this post as useful

mt Koya 2007/8/6 13:40
I would highly recommend going to Mt Koya. They have all these wooden temples among trees. You can stay overnight in a buddhist temple and attend morning prayers.

This I speak not from experience but would-be experience. I am travelling solo from Calif for 1 week in Aug 07. I have somehow managed to squeeze Mt Koya in my schedule.

This is highly recommended by most.

Plus I plan to climb Mt Fuji and visit Hakone. I plan to spend very few days in Tokyo. Its very modern and not very ancient-Japan-like.

Hope that helps. And boy its going very hot this time of the yr.
by Raj rate this post as useful

reply to this thread