Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Stamp for foreigner 2007/8/1 16:26
Dear All

I need some advice if a gaijin living in Japan must get a wooden stamp in order to stamp on all banking documents including opening a savings account. Today I went to the bank for savings account but they want me to get a stamp first.

Is it possible to sign instead of stamping for foreginer?
If need to stamp, what is the rules and restrctions (number of letter,etc)?

Any good place near Edogawaku which anyone can introduce?

Thank you for your help!

best rgds
by Jason  

Hanko 2007/8/2 15:06

Most banks these days allow signatures instead of "hanko" stamps, but if you really do need one, you can order them easily from a hanko shop or similar place that prints business cards and does engraving etc. There are no particular rules for regular hanko - unless it is to be used as a registered seal for something like house deeds - but you will probably want to just get a cheap one with your surname (or first name) in katakana.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/2 15:08
Opening a bank account and other transactions, which do not requires a registered stamp, should be doable by signature.

But transactions like founding a company or buying a car, require a registered stamp, and I think a signature is not an alternative.

In any case, getting a stamp is really easy and cheap. I think they are even available at 100 Yen shops. Getting your stamp registered requires a personalized stamp and some paperwork at the municipal hall.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/2 15:10
First the Stamp is called a Hanko.

Not many rules and restrictions, but depends on what you're using it for, some you can get in Romanji, but most likely you'll want to get your name written in Katakana.

However, what bank are you trying to open your account with? There are many banks that don't require a Hanko, but some Japanese banks still want it, if you aren't restricted to using the bank you're trying to open the account with, try another bank.
by John rate this post as useful

SHINSEI or CITI 2007/8/2 15:17
Unless you have any special reason to use that bank (ex. request from your employer), why don't you open an account at SHINSEI BANK or CITI BANK? They accept signature to open an account.

(Click "Starter Kit")
by J Lady rate this post as useful

not needed 2007/8/2 21:37
I have lived in Japan 9 years and had 3 different bank accounts and have never needed a hanko, so I still don't have one.

In the larger cities these days banksare getting used to dealing with non-Japanese and don't require a hanko.
by Sira rate this post as useful

thanks a lot! 2007/8/2 21:49
Dear All

Thanks a lot for the replies and advise provided.
I really appreciate all kinds of input which helps me to take the next step. My decision is to get a cheap hanko for current and future use. As for the bank requires no hanko, I will also open another savings account if needed(as suggested).

Thank you so much to those who helped me to make the right decision.

by Jason rate this post as useful

reply to this thread