Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Visit to Hakone 2007/8/2 22:34
I will be reaching Tokyo on Sunday -16th Sept. in the morning. After checking into my place of stay I will be ready by 12 noon. Is it possible for me to visit Hakone and come back the same evening, I am very keen to take a view of Mt Fuji from the lake at Hakone.
by Vivek  

... 2007/8/5 12:02
After checking into my place of stay I will be ready by 12 noon.

It typically takes about three hours or more from arrival of your flight at Narita Airport until you check into your hotel in central Tokyo.

Is it possible for me to visit Hakone and come back the same evening, I am very keen to take a view of Mt Fuji from the lake at Hakone.

It takes about 2-3 hours to get from central Tokyo to Lake Ashi one way. So, it is theoretically possible, but certainly not recommended. YOu would be spending 5-6 hours on trains and buses to spend maybe 1-2 hours at the lake.
by Uji rate this post as useful

nope 2007/8/5 23:50
I don't think that is a workable plan. You simply won't have enough time to do anything at Hakone with that schedule. And bear in mind, there is no guarantee that you'll even be able to see Fuji from Lake Ashi.
by Tay rate this post as useful

is possible 2007/8/6 11:30
I have done that (i wasn't intending on it, but my companions were very late risers). it was a bit of a rush, and skipped a few things like going to the teahouse - but other than that managed to do the whole "course" fine. and even stopped by at an onsen afterwards. next time, i'd rather take a more leisurely pace - but if its the only way it fits into your schedule then go for it. just don't dawdle, and take a packed lunch so you can eat on the go.
by Mildred rate this post as useful

Mildred was able to get there 2007/8/6 12:56
Mildred... what time of year did you get there? And were you able to see the Mountain? I'll be there in early October and am interested in the likelihood of being able to see Mt Fuji. Cheers..Brad
by Brad rate this post as useful

uh uh 2007/8/7 07:31
I think "don't dawdle" could be interpreted as "don't see anything". If you want to enjoy Hakone, you need to take some time there. Why go somewhere only to rush around and miss most of what the area offers? You'd certainly be frustrated if you only went to Hakone on the perhaps 50-50 chance of seeing Fuji and weren't able to. The only time of year that your chances go over that is in the winter. I will say that chances of seeing Fuji are probably better in the morning, so doing the Hakone round in reverse would be your best bet. Mildred is right - it CAN be done, but I wouldn't recommend it.

possible 2007/8/7 13:09
Hi Brad.

i went in late february - so end of winter. Winter season is the best time to get a chance to see Fuji.

Tay: please don't attempt to put words in my mouth - because you will fail.

Don't dawdle means exactly that - walk at a brisk pace between places. Then take the time to enjoy whilst at them. I saw many things (including Fuji)...but yes i skipped the teahouse.

next time of course, I'll take a more lesiurely pace. but this was the only way I could do it - and I was very pleased (easily the best part of my trip!) If its the only opportunity for you to see hakone due to your schedule - then go for it.

extra 2007/8/7 13:16
Just a few things - I did the round course from hakoneYumoto - gora- souzan etc (ie anticlockwise). Our best view of Mt Fuji was when we were at Owakudani.

but if you can fit it such that you don't have to do it in the half-day that you have, then it would be best - so you can spend more time on the lake

And if it's getting late - make sure you check the train times to get back to tokyo (and take into account any subway connections you need etc). You wouldn't want to get stranded anywhere on your first night.

Short time in Hakone 2007/8/7 17:50
It is an individual decision, but I personnally would recommend better to visit the open-air museum at Hakone, if you are limited with time. Just check ahead of it when it closes, I think at 1700 (?).
by Micky rate this post as useful

roght 2007/8/7 23:06
Agreed, the open air museum is a must-see destination. You don't have to be a fan of sculpture to enjoy it, the setting is great, as is the refreshing pool to soak your tired feet. It's also nice to have a leisurely lunch at a restaurant at Togendai overlooking the lake when you get off the boat. The old Tokaido road is interesting as well, as is Hakone Shrine. Do take the time to see Hakone thoroughly. Then you'll be able to 'dawdle' a bit.

reply to this thread