Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

credit cards versus traveler's checks 2007/8/4 00:57
I will be visiting Japan in mid August and don't know whether it is better to bring traveler's checks or credit cards, or both. Is one brand of traveler's check any better than another? American Express versus Visa. Is the American Express cardwidely accepted in Japan?
by Diann  

. 2007/8/5 15:25
If you use the search function, located to the left, this is a topic that is brought up a lot, and there is a lot of discussion on it.

I've found both my Visa and Amex to be useful in Japan, though Visa is more widely accepted.
by John rate this post as useful

credit cards versus traveler's cheques 2007/8/5 22:49
Dear John, I know these subjects are discussed ad nauseum on this forum, and I have read everything, but haven't found the answer to my specific questions, otherwise I would not have asked. Is the Amex card widely accepted in Japan? Yes or no? And Amex traveler's checks have traditionally been more widely accepted the world over, but things are different now, so which is better, Amex traveler's cheques or Visa?
by Diann rate this post as useful

Cards 2007/8/5 22:57
Diann,

As discussed in numerous previous threads, some people say that travellers cheques can be a pain to cash in Japan, so a credit card and cash are preferable.
Amex cards are generally accepted in Japan, but as John wrote, Visa (and Mastercard) cards are more widely accepted. All three can be used at Post Office ATMs to withdraw cash.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

cash 2007/8/5 23:37
Credit cards and travelers are both useful in urban centers, but in smaller towns cash is still your best bet. The Japanese still make many of their retail purchases with cash and have no fear of carrying large amounts around with them. I'd recommend a healthy mix of all three modes of payment.
by Tay rate this post as useful

Amex & Visa checks the same 2007/8/6 01:32
Cashing TC in Japan just requires finding a bank or a main post office. There is usually one of these in almost every town. However, if you need to cash over Y100,000 at one time, you'll have problems because of the new (4 Jan 07)anti-terrorism laws. Most people don't need this much at once, though so it isn't a problem. TC, whether in yen or in US$, have to be cashed at a bank or PO. A few stores and hotels in the big tourist areas will handle them for you but in general, plan to look for a bank or PO. I've had no trouble with either VISA or AMEX. Only when cashing a lot (GT $1000) have I run into problems.

ATMs have just gotten better. The 7-11 chain has just tied their ATMs into the international net and foreign ATM cards will work there allowing up to 50 bills to be withdrawn at one time. In general, foreign VISA cards work the best at 7-11s, Post Office ATMs, and in some department stores and banks. MC has a fee at 7-11 ATMs.
by Anaguma rate this post as useful

Both 2007/8/6 02:33
Cash for food, transport and small amount daily expenses. Visa card for hotel and large amount shopping items. That's my sure-win advice.
by TW rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/6 07:57
All major hotels cash TCs without a problem.
by tokyonet rate this post as useful

reply to this thread