Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Will my Jp. cell phone work in Europe? 2007/8/5 18:30
I'm currently with Docomo and have a FOMA S0903i . I'm wondering if i'll be able to use it with a pay as u go sim in Europe?

On the site it says its an international phone and you can use it in other countries while roaming. But it doesnt say if you can switch out the card and use it with a different network.

This is the english site for my phone
http://www.nttdocomo.co.jp/english/product/foma/903i/so903i/index.html

if anyone know that would be great.
by Nancy  

Yes and no 2007/8/6 01:07
Japanese phone standards are different from European standards, the notable exception being UMTS (3G). If AU states the phone is international then it will probably work in Europe. Concerning the card though, as far as I know it's not possible since japanese phones don't use simcards. My AU phone has no such thing. I imagine they flash the firmware with the specific carrier data. You can't even resell your phone since these are tied to you pretty much like your passport or driver's licence.
by Lionheart rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/6 21:55
I'm currently with Docomo and have a FOMA S0903i . I'm wondering if i'll be able to use it with a pay as u go sim in Europe?
On the site it says its an international phone and you can use it in other countries while roaming. But it doesnt say if you can switch out the card and use it with a different network.

All DoCoMo phones are strictly locked and can't accept other SIM cards.

Concerning the card though, as far as I know it's not possible since japanese phones don't use simcards. My AU phone has no such thing.

It depends on standards. DoCoMo and SoftBank 3G phones do use SIM cards.

You can't even resell your phone since these are tied to you pretty much like your passport or driver's licence.

Selling your used phone is easy and has no problem. You should delete your phonebook, bookmarks, messages etc. in advance, of course.
by meringue4 rate this post as useful

reply to this thread