Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Eating food in a hotel / ryokan 2007/8/8 03:10
In the UK it is considered very bad to bring one's own food into a hotel - e.g. a "take away" (US "Take out") meal, bottle of wine, etc. This is because the hotel makes some of its profits from selling food and drink to its guests. If you want to bring your own alcohol to drink with a meal (e.g. because you want better or different wine, or because it is a 'special' wine for an anniversary or commemoration), you can pay a fee to the hotel (or restaurant) called "corkage" (the fee for taking the cork out).

What is the situation in Japan?

by Pat  

... 2007/8/8 09:03
In Japan, I believe there are no rules prohibiting bringing outside food or drinks into hotels. And I think it is commonly done, considering the minibar prices, which can be absurd especially in international hotel chains like Hyatt (they tend to be more reasonable in Japan based hotel chains, but still much more expensive than a convenience store). Some hotels even have convenience store like shops in their lobbies with prices that are the same or only slightly more expensive than in regular convenience stores.

Still, depending on the hotel, it can be embarrassing to bring outside food and drinks into a hotel, especially in case of better hotels and especially if you carry the food in convenience store plastic bags or the like. On the other hand, if you hide the food in your baggage, nobody will notice, except possibly the room maid, who takes out your garbage.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/8 09:12
I've never ran into that problem in Japan. Many larger hotels might have convenience stores inside or are located near one. I guess if you were at a really upscale hotel you wouldn't want to be carrying a McDonalds bag (example only) into, but otherwise I dont think it would be a problem.

Ryokans however, it would depend on what Ryokan you're staying at etc. For example some Ryokans are more homely places where meals are provided by the owner, so it might be a problem in those cases.
by John rate this post as useful

not so good 2007/8/8 14:57
I've stayed at hotels in the UK and other countries, cheap ones and top notch ones, and I travel regularly here in Japan. I have to say that the situation is about the same.

It's not like you'll be stopped at the door, and they do clean any bottles you left behind from shops outside, but they won't really appreciate it and it wouldn't look good. I do think it's basically prohibited in a lot of accomodations, although they are usually tolerated. Sometimes you do see notices.

I try not to be obvious when I bring in food, and if I need to be obvious, I just ask the staff if it is okay to do "mochikomi (bring in food and drinks)".
by Uco rate this post as useful

outside food 2007/8/8 15:52
We always tempted to bring outside foods in because hotel food is far too expensive or just plain lazy to eat out ( bad weather !). Most Japanese hotels/inn provide with kettle for boiling water, this makes it more convenient ( or worst! )for little instant noodles supper before bed time. We always make sure we did clean up after eating, let the fresh air in, not so much of "guilt" but more because of courtesy to the next visitors. Fully agree with other comments posted before.
by tju rate this post as useful

reply to this thread