Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mitsutoge climbing hiking 2007/8/11 10:38
Hello all,

I am planning to climb Mitsutoge, I heard the hiking track to the summit is really scenic and the view of Fuji san are breathtaking, But I tried all over to get information on where to start,which station to go and which bus to catch from there to the Hiking base or it near to the station??. I am planning to start from shinjuku next weekend if I have all the info. Can you please tell me how to proceed and if somthing else that I am missing?

Thanks alot for your help.
by Abeesh  

Not so difficult to find 2007/8/11 15:59
I recommend starting at Mitsutoge Station, climb uo to the ridge and descend to the lake (Kawaguchiko).

This way it is easier to find the trailhead - it's not far from the station, and signposted in Japanese. It also means you do the steepest face first, and descending is easy.

Two things to note:
First, most of the trail is covered by trees. You only see Fuji at a few cleared spots, of which only one is panoramic. But that's OK. It's a nice forest. BTW, the same situation holds for most other trails in the hills around Fuji-san.

The other thing is that I highly recommend you get a good contour map (Mt Fuji area, from any bookstore). That way if you make any mistake in orientation, you can quickly correct. The trail does intersect a few other trails, and in the forest it is easy to make a wrong choice.

Finally, take bento for lunch, and water. I don't think there is anything available at either end of the trail.
by Pericles rate this post as useful

climb uo to the ridge? 2007/8/11 16:24
Hello Pericles,
Thanks alot for the reply.

that makes it very clear,but I just have one thing, you mentioned to start at station and climb uo to the ridge? is the starting point of climb to ridge near to station??I don't speak Japanese so will it be difficult for me to find the base for climb?

Your replies and advise much appreciated.

THanks
by abeesh rate this post as useful

A little Japanese goes a looooong way 2007/8/11 16:48
So you had definitely better get the map, and study it beforehand. If you can identify the kanji for a few useful place names life will be easier for you.

Some phrases:

(In bookstore)
I am looking for a detailed map of the Mt Fuji/Kawaguchiko area.

Fuji-san to Kawaguchiko no komakai chizu o sagashite imasu.

Can you please show me where the Mitsutoge trail is on this map?

Kono chizu de, Mitsu-toge to iu yama michi o sashite kudasai.

(At Mitsutoge station)
Where is start of the Mitsutoge trail?

Mitsu-toge no tozan-guchi wa doko desuka?

Trailhead = tozan-guchi

Thanks alot!! 2007/8/11 18:00
Hello Pericles,

That's so nice of you..Thanks alot for it..I will do as said..and hope to make a great trip.

Thanks
by abeesh rate this post as useful

link 2007/8/11 18:31
Always happy to help a hiker.

Here is an account of the hike. Alas, no map!

http://outdoorj.japan-adventures.com/TO/0502/TO-2-japan-hiking.html

Hope the weather is good for you.

Mistutoge or Mount Tenjo 2007/12/16 09:54
Which views are better?

Starting from Mount Tenjo or starting at Mitsu-toge?
by Joe rate this post as useful

Dec 24 2007/12/26 20:00
I went on the 24th and it's a very good place to see Mount Fuji from. I got some new information from the hotel I was staying in about accessing the trail.

From Kawaguchiko Station, take the Fuji-kyuko bus for Kofu and get off at the Kawaguchiko-kyoku-mae bus stop. The starting point is a shrine called Sengen Jinjya.

From the shrine you have to walk up a road until you reach the Shirataki Waterfall. From there the hike is quite steep at times, but once at the top, the Mitsu-toge trail is a paved road.

Make sure to learn how to read "Mistu-toge" (ミッ峠), there are no signs in English.
by Joe rate this post as useful

reply to this thread