Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Mosquito Repellent 2007/8/11 14:16
Okay, this is an important question. Hopefully this will be posted and have some answers by Sunday...

I'm a mosquito magnet. The last time I stayed in Osaka I was absolutely eaten up by them. I tried using repellent wipes, gels, and smoke. But nothing worked. At night I even shut the windows and covered up, and yet I'd wake up with new bites.

Does anyone know of any brands of mosquito repellent that are strong and effective (American brands)?

I am going back to Japan in a few days, and I want to be prepared for these suckers. :)

かがきらいよ〜
by niko-chan  

Vitamin C 2007/8/11 18:57
I can't really find anything that is made for people who are particularly tasty to mosquitoes on the internet... but I have heard that people who take vitamin C daily makes your blood sour or unlikable to mosquitoes. Whether it takes a while for the Vitamin C to build up or works instantly, i'm not sure.
by Miko rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/11 19:37
Your blood must be very sweet :)
Well, when I lived in the Philippines, I used local "OFF" and it was very effective (though I hated that smell). I'm not sure if this product is sold in the US and good for your skin.

Anyhow, most repellents sold in Japan are not really strong as people tend to look soft-on-skin types rather than strong effect.
(Drugs in Japan are not as strong as American, in general) So why don't you bring some from the US?

AVON's Skin on Soft is suggested in this thread.
http://liveinthephilippines.com/blog/?p=76
by J Lady rate this post as useful

mosquito repellent 2007/8/12 03:37
Ant repellent with DEET.
by mano79 rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/12 13:41
Are you sure they're mosquitos?

Are you saying that you shut all windows tightly and then after that used katori-senko or vape and you are saying that there were still mosquitos alive to bite you? That is hard to believe.

It's not a matter of you being the magnet. It's either that a window or door was slightly opened. Because all mosquitos _die_ if you have a katori-senko or vape lit for a few hours in a concealed room.

Are you sure they're not mites or any type or allergy or anything else? Just a thought.
by Uco rate this post as useful

one home remedy 2007/8/12 15:29
I have heard alot about people eating alot of garlic and it helping repel mosquitos. If that is what you determin is biting you. I am not sure about the garlic tabs you get as a vitamin but i would assume that would be easier to take than munching on a bulb of garlic every day. I have not tried this myself though, so ido not know first hand if or not it actually works.
by wmh rate this post as useful

reply to this thread