Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tokyo versus Osaka 2007/8/12 02:11
We will be visiting Kansai area for 7 days, staying in Himeji. We are planning to visit Miyajima, Kobe, Kyoto, Nara, and Osaka as well. Is it really worth spending the time and money to go to Tokyo, too, or can we get just as much Japanese big city culture and experience from Osaka and spend the extra time getting more in depth in Kansai area sites?
by diann  

... 2007/8/12 08:34
Nothing compares to Tokyo, especially if you like big cities. It comes down to personal preference.
by Uji rate this post as useful

different 2007/8/12 08:44
I think there's a slightly different culture in Osaka compared to Tokyo. Tokyo is certainly much bigger than Osaka, and it seems that the night life never ends. There's a lot of things to see in Tokyo too. If you're into large cities you should definitely go!
by Miko rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/12 08:48
Is it worth it is up to you. 7 days in Himeji, Kobe, Osaka, Kyoto, Miyajima etc you're already getting a good dose of metropolitan areas and traditional and cultural history. Certainly if you do have extra time and money do visit tokyo, but if you can't then its something I wouldn't lose sleep over about.
by John rate this post as useful

not that 501 is old, but... 2007/8/12 10:05
Thanks everyone. It's not that 51 is old or anything, but I had plenty of nightlife in my 20s, 30s, and 40s. I don't rally care about the shear magnitude of a city. I live close to New York and quite frankly the crowds bother me sometimes. I care more about art, interior design, architecture, culture, cuisine, and history. That's why I can't decide, but you might all have been there, so maybe you could tell me.
by Diann rate this post as useful

skip it 2007/8/12 10:46
It sounds like you have a nice trip planned. If you live near New York and know that you're not really into cities, then I see no reason for you to come to Tokyo. If you did come to Tokyo it would be rushed, and so you wouldn't have time to do much, anyway. So I think it would be better for you to stay in the Kansai area and do something you would enjoy more.
by M rate this post as useful

Tokyo versus Osaka 2007/8/12 11:35
In Tokyo, they stand on the left side when on an escalator, in Kansai, it's on the right. Tokyo is very intrersting especially on the weekends in Harajuku, Akihabara and Yoyogi Park. But since you only have 7 days, and visiting so many other cities, you might not have the time to make the trip up to Tokyo. But if you like big cities, I would find the time to go
by ichinensei rate this post as useful

reply to this thread