Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Green car for single journey? 2007/8/15 22:56
Hi

I know the questions regarding JR Ordinary vs Green car have been debated endless. This questions is different!

If we buy an ordinary JR pass can we upgrade for a single journey? We are travelling from Tokyo - Kyoto over the busy New Year period and want to travel in Green car to beat the crowds. For the rest of the time (14 days), we are happy with the ordinary car!

Is it possible to upgrade for the journey? How much would it cost? I am trying to work out if this is cheaper than upgrading for the entire 14days!

Thanks
MR

by MR  

... 2007/8/16 08:55
It is possible, but you have to pay more than just the green car supplement. Namely, you will also have to pay the limited express fee.

Tokyo-Kyoto would cost you a supplement of around 10,000 Yen per person.

During the New Year period, traffic is horrible on only a few selected days and directions. This year, December 29 in direction out of Tokyo can be expected to be the peak. Not sure about the peak of the "return-rush". I guess it will be distributed over January 2, 3, 5 and 6 will not be so extreme.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/22 11:54
Please note that trying to get a green car doesn't necessarily increase your odds of getting a seat, only booking early in advance does. During peak travel season and on the peak travel days of that season all train cars sell out , doesn't matter if it is green or ordinary, reserved or unreserved, trains will travel at overcapacity.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread