Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Music Business 2007/8/17 00:44
Ok, so I'm going to be 17 in a month and I'm also going to be a Senior. I've been thinking ALOT about what I would like to do with my life for years now and like anyone things change. But I'm pretty sure that this is what I want to do: live in Japan and join the music business.

All summer I've been thinking long and hard about it b/c that means leaving my family, and missing many things to come. And also I've been second guessing if this should JUST be a 'dream'/obsesssion as people have told me it is. And that's not fair.

Anyway, I've started teaching myself Japanese and I plan to get a minor in Japanese studies and major in the music business (I also plan to study abroad in Japan for a year as well, if I can rack up the money T_T). However I'm not exactly sure what major I should go for. There's Degree in Music Compostion/Theory/Business...

See I'd like to be an Artist Relations Representative (or at least something close to that so that I may actually work with the artists). I know that they work basically as a liason btwn the label and the band/artist, making sure that each is satisfied. I believe they also promote the band/label, but I can't really find out anything more. If anyone knows anything about this as well could you help me??? I'm not quite sure what the job entails and how to get there. I highly doubt I'll be able to just get a degree/masters and be accepted easily without more experience. What would you suggest???

So...yea. Sorry if this post has been all over the place, it just shows my heads been in every direction. If you could help that would be GREATLY appreciated.
by Samantha  

:] 2007/9/1 19:31
Sorry this isn't really an answer, but I thought I would let you know that this is a very good question...

I have settled down my career choices to 2, and music production or something in that field is one of them, and I would really like to work in Japan with whatever I choose to do. However, the music industry is really big in Japan, and I once read that the only time in Japan (or any country most probably) when you can be guaranteed a very reliable/secure job is when the country doesn't have enough/many people who are experienced in that field already. And music is definitely one of them - the music industry in Japan is very developed so I'm guessing there are alot of people who are experienced in that sector.
Even a good Japanese friend of mine's mum studied at a music university and graduated, but her current job (now that she lives in London) is not in the music field what-so-ever, yet I'm sure that if she were still in Japan, she would have a very good job. However, like any other job, it's worth a try. But I'm almost certain that fluency in Japanese is most probably compulsory.

I would be very happy if anyone else could share their opinion on this too because I don't think that anybody has posted a topic based on jobs in the music industry before and this has been sitting for 2 weeks unanswered :[ lol

xoxox
by Mel rate this post as useful

well 2007/9/2 08:19
I think a job in the music industry is difficult wherever you live. Maybe it's easier in Japan for Japanese, but it's not for foreigners. That doesn't mean it's impossible.

You're best bet is to first go to college where you live. Get a degree leading towards your goal (While becoming fluent in Japanese). Then first get experience in the music industry where you live for a few years, and make a lot of contacts. That will give you the starting ground to be able to begin in Japan.

Not at all easy, but good luck!
by adam rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/2 12:54
Have you inquired to any record companies or promoters or magazines in Japan about this? Just a thought.

Personally, I think that most people sort of with the kind of career you're aiming for sort of gradually build up their career by promoting themselves little by little. Why not start by trying to get a part time job in your local music industry?
by Uco rate this post as useful

Thankyou 2007/9/3 04:31
Thankyou for all your input. ^_^ I will deffinately take them into account as college creeps closer :

I have not inquired any industries yet, but once things are moving I'm sure it would be a very good idea. I can only imagine how hard it'll be to do this, but hey, it's worth a shot. ^_^ And even if I don't make it, there are still many other alternatives.

Thankyou again.
by Samantha rate this post as useful

(^-^) Arigatou 2007/9/3 21:39
Thank you also from me too to Uco and adam.

I was thinking that maybe getting a degree in wherever you currently are it a good idea, and gettin experience where you are also sounds like a good idea too. ^-^

And Uco I never thought about getting contacts, but that seems like a very good and simple way of helping to get into the business, so thanks to you to :]
by Mel rate this post as useful

reply to this thread