Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

How should I go about getting to japan 2007/8/17 15:05
Hey there. I've been looking around a few websites about japan and I've been interested in the culture for an etremely long time. I have an ultimate goal of living and working in Japan and I'd like to know how I should start off in achieving that goal.

I'm entering into college (UK) next month on a catering course, and I'd like to end up working in a restaurant of some sort in japan.

My knowledge of the japanese language is nil. I simply can't find any resources to help me with the learning.

A friend of mine also wishes the same, she's been studying japanese for a year or so now and hopes to be a Japanese English Teacher. We hope to go over together after finishing college and all that malarky.

My question is most likely confusing.. I know it confuses me, but any responses would be greatly appreciated.
by Sean  

Options 2007/8/17 17:09
Sean,

Questions like yours are frequently asked here, so you can probably find more information by looking back through the forum archives.
If you are a UK citizen, you qualify for a Working Holiday Visa, which would be the "easiest" option for you right now, letting you live and work in Japan for one year.
A full working visa will generally require a university degree (in any subject) or something like 10 years of relevant work experience.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

Working Holiday 2007/8/18 08:10
I'm going on a working holiday in October, and I'd certainly recommend it if you just want to live and work in Japan as soon as possible. It's reasonably easy to obtain and is generally a great way of seeing the country. As a UK citizen you can stay in Japan for a whole year, though you can only get the visa once in your life (though apparently they do consider exceptional cases).

Learning the language will be a big help, so see if there's any adult education classes starting in September. A short course is a great way to get into the language, and from there you can further your learning with books, software, the internet, etc.
by Matt Durrant rate this post as useful

College! 2007/8/18 09:04
I'm not sure if you're from america or not, so just to be clear, the college I'm talking about is UK education for 16 - 18 yr olds. Most colleges are enrolling evening courses, including entry level japanese language. (I just enrolled two days ago and start Sept 18th.)

As for your friend, I know you didn't involve this in your question, but if she doesn't yet know how she's going to start teaching english in japan (more-or-less my exact plan for the next five years) she should see the JET thingy. I'll get a link.

http://www.jet-uk.org/

I haven't even answered your main question!

... I have no idea how to get to japan to work in a restaurant, Sorry!
by Brian rate this post as useful

Gah! My mistake! 2007/8/18 09:06
I just re-read your question and you mentioned that you are in the UK! So sorry about that!
by Brian rate this post as useful

Thanks 2007/8/22 16:56
Thanks everyone, some fairly interesting information here, I'll take in what you've said and digest.. and stuff.. ^_^

Thanks for the links, should keep me busy.
by Sean rate this post as useful

reply to this thread