Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Help Plan Okinawa Osaka Kyoto itinery 2007/8/19 15:16
I am going a bit crazy researching. The more info I find, the more I need to know.

We are a couple in early 30s hoping to visit Japan in late October.

We will be flying into Okinawa from Shanghai, then to Osaka and then train to Kyoto and back to Kansai before going back to Shanghai.

Here are my questions:

1. If we had 2 weeks to spend, what should the break up be for these 3 places?

2. How/where can I find cheapish accommodation that is smoke-free?

3. How easy is it to get around Okinawa island without much knowledge of Japanese? and no car?

4. We have Australian driver's licences but not the international one (did not get it prior to leaving home). So is there no chance we can hire a rental car? (as this is my preferred option to maximise our time there since it seems buses are infrequent and slow to get around in).

5. Would you recommend a trip to Tokashiki island or Zamami island, or both? How long should we spend there? can we do a day trip, or should we stay overnight? If so, how can I find about accommodation? (all the sites seem to be in japanese).

6. What will the weather be like in late Oct in Okinawa and late Oct-early Nov for Osaka/Kyoto? Will it rain much?

7. Is it better to stay near the main JR station in Osaka, or in town? What about Kyoto? Near the station, or in the middle of town close to tourist spots?

8. Do we need to bring our our snorkeling equipment for Okinawa? (since we are not going in the summer time).

9. Will USJ be crowded in October?

10. How easy or hard is it to get a photo of a geisha/geiko in Gion?

11. Which is more worth going to: Ocean expo park in Okinawa, or Osaka Aquarium?

12. Any recommendations for accomm around US$100 greatly appreciated.

sorry for so many Qs, as you can see I have already done lots of research but still have so many more Qs. Thank you :)
by scamel  

... 2007/8/21 22:32
3. How easy is it to get around Okinawa island without much knowledge of Japanese? and no car?
It is possible by bus but better to rent a car. You need an international license to rent a car. Are you sure that you cannot get one before you leave? http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2024.html

6. What will the weather be like in late Oct in Okinawa and late Oct-early Nov for Osaka/Kyoto? Will it rain much?
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2273.html

7. Is it better to stay near the main JR station in Osaka, or in town?
Near stations are preferable but it is difficult to find cheap accomodation.

It depends on your luck!

11. Which is more worth going to: Ocean expo park in Okinawa, or Osaka Aquarium?
Osaka Aquarium is nice but I personally like Churaumi Aquarium in Okinawa.
http://www.kaiyouhaku.com/
by J Lady rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/21 22:33
1. If we had 2 weeks to spend, what should the break up be for these 3 places?

It depends on your personal preferences! History, cities, beaches, shopping, .... What is more important to you?

For example:
5 days Okinawa
5 days Kyoto
4 days Osaka

How/where can I find cheapish accommodation that is smoke-free?

On the internet. There are lots of reservation websites. Among them, the following offers good rates and an option to show only non-smoking rooms:
http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/en/

Outside Naha it is challenging and inconvenient. The bus system is complicated and not easy to use even for Japanese people.

We have Australian driver's licences but not the international one (did not get it prior to leaving home). So is there no chance we can hire a rental car?

No, I am afraid you cannot drive without an international driving license. And I think it is not possible to get one from outside your home country.

Okinawa:
26 degrees average daytime high
21 degrees average nighttime low
57% sunny days

Kyoto/Osaka:
20 degrees average daytime high
12 degrees average nighttime low
65% sunny days

Is it better to stay near the main JR station in Osaka, or in town?

In Osaka, the main JR stations are pretty much in town.

What about Kyoto?

Downtown Kyoto has more and more attractive dining opportunities than the Kyoto Station area. I personally prefer to stay downtown (walking distance to Shijo-Kawaramachi).

Do we need to bring our our snorkeling equipment for Okinawa? (since we are not going in the summer time).

I think you can rent it relatively easily.

Will USJ be crowded in October?

Only on weekends and the national holiday (October 8).

How easy or hard is it to get a photo of a geisha/geiko in Gion?

You need some luck to find a fake geisha in the Gion area (I found more of them in the Higashiyama/Kiyomizudera area). And it is neither easily possible nor recommended to take pictures with a real geisha. They usually hurry from the taxi into a tea house and most of them will probably be bothered by photo taking tourists.

Which is more worth going to: Ocean expo park in Okinawa, or Osaka Aquarium?

Both are outstanding aquaria. But the one in Okinawa beats the one in Osaka, in my opinion (except for the horrible cafeteria food).
by Uji rate this post as useful

sorry my poor English 2007/8/22 01:24

I don't know you can understand my writing... but I recomend something for you.

I recomend you these websites about okinawa.
http://www.ocvb.or.jp/
http://blog.livedoor.jp/marshcnet/

I think you need a car if you will go to the ocean expo park. It take about 3 hours from Okinawa air port. taxi is expensive!! It is better to go Osaka Aquarium. Because it is easy to go for you.

5. Would you recommend a trip to Tokashiki island or Zamami island, or both? How long should we spend there? can we do a day trip, or should we stay overnight? If so, how can I find about accommodation? (all the sites seem to be in japanese).

I have been to Okinawa 4 or 5 times. My best recomend is Hatenohama in Kume island. it was nice ,very beautiful.
But the cost is high to go there from Naha , Okinawa.

I have just found such website .
http://real-okinawa.jp/beachcomer/english.htm

Ocean is very beautiful ,so you can enjoy just snorkeling. If you want to diving, see this webpage.
http://www.kailolodivers.jp/english.html

About Kyoto
You don't need stay near Kyoto station. Because many places to visit are a little far from Kyoto station. I think Kyoto is the most kind city for foreinger, so you can go many place you want easily.

I have seen real Geisha before, maybe the time was 5 or 6 pm. If you want to see, you walk around Gion area (espesially Ichiriki Tei) at 5-6 pm. They are very busy, so don't be interfering with her work. The Geisha you will see is not on her's way home from work. They start waking then .

I think you don't need stay near Osaka station. Osaka has nice transportation network.

enjoy your trip!
by aki rate this post as useful

me again 2007/8/22 12:43
Thank you for the advice you've given me, everyone :) I really appreciate it.

I have a few more questions that I thought of, after reading your answers.

I think I would probably prefer to go to Okinawa aquarium, but if it's too much of a hassle to get there, maybe not.. soo..

13. Is there any way we can hire an ENGLISH speaking driver to drive us there, and then someone else to drive us back the next day? how much would this sort of thing cost?

or

How much would a taxi cost from Naha to there (just out of curiousity)?

14. Can you help me find a city map of both Osaka, and Kyoto (and Naha too if possible ) IN ENGLISH with the major tourist attractions marked on it? as well as train lines and maybe some major bus stops/lines too? thanks. This would help me decide which area to stay in.

15. Where can I buy Anpanman toys and memorabilia (since we are not going to Tokyo)?

16. Will there be many mosquitos or other pesky flying bugs on Okinawa around that time? How common are dangerous sea creatures in the waters there?

17. I am not sure what to do in Kyoto other than look at temples? Is there other things worth looking at?

18. I am really into tall towers. Should we go to Umeda in Osaka or Kyoto Tower?

thanks.
by scamel rate this post as useful

Kansai 2007/8/22 14:08
Tourist info on the Kansai:
Osaka: www.tourism.city.osaka.jp/en/
Kobe, Himeji: www.Hyogo-tourism.jp/english/
Kyoto: www.raku.city.kyoto.jp/sight_e.phtml
Nara: www.pref.nara.jp/nara_e/

Transit info:
Osaka: www.Kotsu.city.osaka.jp/
english/
Kyoto: www.city.kyoto.jp/kotsu/
english/e_guide
I buy maps in English here in my home town in Canada. can't you get some in Australia? yo ucan also google for maps but it takes some time to get a good one..
tall buildings: the Kyoto tower is a toy. Osaka Kita is the place to go. check on Google: "skyscrapercity Osaka" you need a fast computer..
you do know, don't you, that Kyoto, Kobe, Nara etc. are all in the Kansai?
I like to stay in Kobe or in
Shin-Osaka as it is easier to catch trains there and it is quiet.
both Osaka Kita and Minami Dotombori have lots and lots of restaurants.. with a JR pass it is easy to go from wherever you are staying to a different town for dinner every few days. .

by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

more info 2007/8/22 14:29
try googling : osaka google map.
you get an interactive map called joho map.
what to do in Kyoto? each major temple is actually several buildings in a park and gardens setting that can be quite big. One of my all times favorite is the Fushimi-Inari shrine, located at the first stop, when leaving kyoto by the Nara line (you must go to Nara). it takes 4 hrs to walk up then down mt Inari under something like 10 000 vemillion torii in the forest!... you can get lost in side strets in downtown Kyoto. there is always something to see. Friends of mine, in their 50s, were enthralled by the main Kyoto railway station (you will understand why) and spent over 1/2 day exploring it. it actually takes longer than one think just to see a few temples leisurely. Then there are the covered shopping streets, etc. .
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/22 15:35
I'm sorry I haven't made this clear. We Live in CHINA not Australia. So the licence and map thing - nope, we cant' just get one.
by scamel rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/22 17:38
How much would a taxi cost from Naha to there (just out of curiousity)?

I estimate it to cost around 14,000 Yen one way.

I am really into tall towers. Should we go to Umeda in Osaka or Kyoto Tower?

The Umeda skyscraper is much more spectacular than Kyoto Tower.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Okinawa, maps,... 2007/8/22 20:53
Regarding Okinawa,i was there last year, end october.
To make your stay easier you should organize what you would like to do (visit Naha city and around, north beaches, both, nearby islands) and how many days you ll stay. Then check the accomodation area depending on what you will do. Slepping in the centre and going everyday to the north beaches will get you crazy.
Maps: check this site:www.ocvb.or.jp
I have maps from okinawa and kyoto, if you cannot get them, i can send them to you by post. I leave you my e mail, in case, nikita6@hispeed.ch
Japanese embassy has a special office with JAL in zurich that send me some info (most from tokyo), they dont have something similar in china?
Weather: End oct was still nice to swim. I use to go to the Manza beach, i din t overnight there(expensive resort) but for$10 you can used all the beach accesories (chairs, umbrellas, toilet..). They also offer snorkelling tours.
Trnasportation: It s not an easy city. Everybody suggested me to take a taxi(expensive) and nobody wanted to explain me how to go by bus. In the tourist office they spoke no english. I could manage to understand buses routes and it s not that complicated, but you have to be very patient. Major roads are route 58, 330 and 320 and you will find the buses stops there.They will ride along this road all the way. Buses drivers are friendly and will help you, buses were almost empty as everybody has a car. It s a long ride from airport or Naha city to the north. At least 90 minutes to Onna village.
The monorail is useful to major destinations in Naha city.
Mosquitos/flyers: i had no problem, not see any. Same for sea creatures.
by paola rate this post as useful

reply to this thread