Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

sushi buffets (with cooked sushi) 2007/8/20 22:22
Are there sushi/handroll buffets around where they serve cooked sushi as well (eg. cooked tuna, teriyaki chicken rolls etc)? I'd like to go to a sushi buffet in Tokyo but my companion doesn't eat raw food. Thanks.
by moomoocow  

Sushi 2007/8/21 20:13
Moomoocow,

I don't think sushi buffets are particularly common - except perhaps in some hotel restaurants, but why not go to a regular sushi restaurant or kaitenzushi (conveyor belt) place? Not all sushi is raw, and you are free to order/pick whatever you want. Avoiding raw food will limit you somewhat, but cooked toppings include egg, shrimp, octopus, salmon, meat, and salads.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

another question 2007/8/21 20:57
Thanks, Dave.
Just wondering, are cooked sushi popular in Japan? I've been surfing various sushi restaurant websites in Tokyo, and the menu seems to be vastly populated with raw sushi, with only limited choices in cooked toppings (such as egg and eel).
Is there anything you can suggest?
Thanks for your help.
by moomoocow rate this post as useful

sushi 2007/8/21 23:09
I would also reccomend going to a sushi restaurant and ordering what you want. A lot of the toppings/fillings on/in sushi are cooked. Unagi nigiri or roll is my favorite.
by cf rate this post as useful

Authentic sushi 2007/8/22 13:34
The sushi you are referring to does not really exist in Japan. Are you American? The dishes you listed are sort of Americanized versions of Japanese food. Most sushi is raw fish served "nigiri" style. Rolls are fairly limited and are considered stomach stuffers you eat toward the end of your meal...I've only seen teriyaki chicken at fast food restaurants. Most of the time, teriyaki is done to yellowtail and not meat.
by SilverJay rate this post as useful

Sushi 2007/8/22 13:41
Moomoocow,

If you go to a better (i.e. more expensive) place, then most of the items on the menu will be seafood and raw - except those that have to be cooked, such as shrimp, octopus, or eel (anago).
However, if you go to the cheaper kaitenzushi places, they have a much more varied selection that includes a lot more cooked toppings.
The attraction of sushi is that you can order as much or as little as you want, so there is no pressure to eat things you don't want to.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

thanks 2007/8/22 21:25
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am aware that cooked sushi is probably not authentic japanese food. I have no problems with raw fish, and I'd really want to get some decent sushi whilst I am visiting Japan. I have only asked the question as I don't want to starve my boyfriend who doesn't eat raw fish. I don't want to limit his choices to only eel, egg, and prawns you see. Seems like I'll go to a cheap sushi place to see, and if there's not enough selection, we'll just leave and eat at another place. (Maybe I can have two meals then?)

Thanks for everyone's help.
by moomoocow rate this post as useful

Is 5800-yen/person too much?? 2007/8/23 17:58
I donft know how much you are planning to spend for such Tabehodai Sushi, but if you are willing to pay JY5,800.-/person for food, it might be an idea to try Hinazushi in Roppongi.
There are several Hizazushi restaurants in Tokyo but this Roppongi one has a special offer which includes 2 hours of Tabehodai Sushi + Tabehodai Shabushabu in this price. So you can enjoy both Sushi and Shabushabu here(shabushabu tabehodai means that meat, noodle & veritable are all you can eat) for this price, but you have only 2-hours in total.
Please note that an advance reservation is required for this special offer and to bring a print-out of Gurunabi coupon. Also 10% of service fee will be added for dinner after 17:00. (not for lunch)
The Hina-zushi in Roppoing locates close to Roppongi subway station and in the basement of Aoyama Book Center (map here: http://www.aoyamabc.co.jp/45/45300english_information/ )
The Gurunabi coupon (in Japanese, sorry!) can be found here: http://r.gnavi.co.jp/g222203/map1.htm

Hinazushi in Roppongi:
address: Denki-building B1, 1-20, Roppongi 6-chome, Minato-ku, Tokyo
phone: 03-3403-9112
open hours:
11:30-15:00 & 17:30-23:00 for Mon-Fri
12:00-16:00 & 16:00-23:00 for Sat, Sun & National holidays

Also you need to understand some Japanese since when you order tabehodai-sushi, you have to write quantities you want in the order sheets on which sushi name list is printed in Japanese. (They cook Sushi upon your order based on these order sheets but of course you can write as many order sheets as you like.)
When I tried this place for tabehodai-sushi only (long time ago though), their sushi was quite good and the restaurant atmosphere was also good.

by Komori rate this post as useful

reply to this thread