Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Travelling in Japan. 2007/8/21 03:32
Hello,
I am landing in Tokyo this Saturday. Looking to do half shopping/city life and half culture/temples etc. Anyone recommend a rail/travle suggestions.
I dont think I would go farther than 3-4 hours in any direction.
I am staying in Shibuya. Does anyone know if that is ok place to stay?
thanks for any advise.
Sincerly
Jon.
by Jon  

shibuya 2007/8/22 15:54
it's a great place to stay , especially for shopping. Plus you can hit up Harajuku and Ginza.
For temples, you can visit Kamakura while staying in Tokyo for a day. That is 1.5 hour trip. Tokyo also has some commendable temples to visit. Then go to Kyoto for more traditional Japanese culture and temples.
One thing i recommend doing is buying a blank book for about 1000 yen, and then ask a temple calligrapher to write the name of the temple or a Buddhist prayer and then stamp it with the temple's signature. The stamp costs 300-500 yen. I forgot their name, but it's an awesome gift to anyone back home and you can keep track of all the temples you've visited throughout japan. Or just keep it for yourself.
by Miko rate this post as useful

reply to this thread