Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Tank Tops? 2007/8/21 09:07
Is it alright to wear tanktops in Japan? I've been wearing mine outside and I've been getting quite a few stares. Obviously, I'm a foreigner so it's a given that I'll be stared at, but I have a feeling that my clothing is inapropriate. Also, my chest is very large, I'm about 36DD.

Do you guys think this is okay? Sad thing is, a lot of my shirts are tanktops... and it's reaaaaally hot.

Doushiyo?
by niko-chan  

experiment 2007/8/22 13:53
Do a little experiment. Go to a cheap place like Daiei and buy an inexpensive shirt that's just a regular t-shirt. Then try wearing it and see if you get the same amount of stares.
Large breast sizes are also very uncommon in Japan, as you may have already noticed. The combined factors of you being non-Japanese and with a large cup size would probably play into it. I really don't think it is the tank tops (perhaps they're tighter than other shirts so they make your cup size look even larger??). So try wearing a regular t-shirt that isn't very form fitting and see what happens.
I bought my host sister a tank top that said "Chicago" on it when I first met her. She seemed to really like it and she wore it often.
by Miko rate this post as useful

IMO 2007/8/22 16:45
I think if you have a chest size that large, and are partial to wearing small tanktops, you will get stares in whatever country you go to.

If it bothers you, wear loose fitting cotton or linen shirts instead. They are very breathable and will give you more cover.

If it doesn't bother you, just hold your head high and let them stare. It doesn't do any harm to just look.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

tank tops 2007/8/22 22:12
There are plenty of Japanese people wearing tank tops in this 35 degree + heat we've been having lately, at least in Tokyo. I am no bigger in the chest than your average Japanese girl, I wear tanktops often and don't notice that I get any more stares than usual, so I think you can probably assume that it's the size of your chest, which would be made more obvious by a tanktop, that is attracting attention.
by Sira rate this post as useful

just for your information 2007/8/22 22:46
Tank tops are normal in this heat (assuming you're in Tokyo, Osaka or a similar climate area). But just in case you haven't noticed, wearing no bras isn't. Also, showing your bra straps are in fact "in" at the moment, but it totally depends on the kind of bra strap. A transparent pair of straps would be safer. But I vote for the chest size.
by Uco rate this post as useful

Tank Tops and Bras 2007/8/23 12:51
Oh! That reminds me, also when I wear tank tops, my black bra straps show. I usually wear a small sweater though, so it covers the straps slightly.

Miko - When I wear shirts that cover everything, such as long sleeves, I do get less stares. But maybe that's because I look unnatractive in it? That's what I figured. I can't really know for sure...

Sira - My mother also recommended that I should wear cotton shirts. I always thought that type of clothing would be hotter... I'll give it a try.

Sometimes when I wear tanktops some of the stares tend to look judgemental... Also, since I'm African American, I know Japanese people believe in a lot of stereotypes, and I was hoping that they don't view me as some sort of "whore" or what not because my chest is showing.

As for wearing tank tops without a bra, do you think that's okay to do around the people I'm living with in the house? So far I've been doing that everyday, because whenever I wear a bra my chest area gets extremely hot, especially in Japan's summer heat. Also my nipples tend to show... Some of my shirts hide it, others don't. What do you think? I sense slight hostility, but I'm not sure.
by niko-chan rate this post as useful

at least a sports bra 2007/8/24 06:28
I can understand how the heat can make you want to be bra-less, i did it too (though i have a B cup) and for the most part it was good.
But people will stare at you simply because you're different. Are the majority men, women or both?
In any case, for your cup size I think at least a light weight, breathable, sports bra would reduce your nipples... or maybe a light-weight undershirt?

While I was in Japan, i noticed it was mostly men staring at me... which really bothered me. There were some women too, but I'd tell myself it was cuz they weren't sure what ethinicity i was. My boyfriend told me, "The women are jealous and the men think you're hot." but being my boyfriend... i feel like he might be biased... But no matter what I did, I got stares. You just have to live with it until you go home. Just go out knowing that people will think you're different and are curious about you and in turn will stare. And hey... maybe the women are jealous of you. ;-)

forgot to add 2007/8/24 06:31
If you're in the Yokohama area, there's a 100 yen store in the main Yokohama train station that sells these small battery powered fans for about 500 yen. I used those to help me cool down. I also bought a cheap sensu (or regular japanese fan) there which really helped a lot.

tanktops 2007/8/24 07:46
In Japan going bra-less with a T-shirt or tanktop is pretty much unheard of. The bras here are very thick with padding not only for increasing size but also to make sure nipples are well hidden.

Although they may not be letting on, you might actually be making the people you are staying with quite uncomfortable by not wearing a bra. I really recommend wearing one, even in the home.

When going out in a tanktop, I doubt it's any kind of negative stereotyoe that makes people stare- just a novelty thing. Heck, I might even glance at your chest because it's so unusual here. I would probably be thinking "Wow, lucky girl"...
by Sira rate this post as useful

bras and shirts 2007/8/27 15:08
Sira's right about the importance of bras especially about the fact that the whole idea is to hide your nipples. So in other words, as long as your nipples are well hidden, you don't have to wear a bra in Japan.

There are products like nip-less or nu-bra which are practically tiny skin-color pads or stickers that just stick on your nipple area, and all the other parts of your breast would be nude. However, keep in mind that users' comments on the internet shows that they're not necessarily comfortable either (makes your skin sweat, comes off easily etc.), but they may be worth a try.

There are also tank tops with inner pads already attached to it.

Also it's sometimes more comfortable to just wear a thick loose shirt rather than a transparant tight one. It will bring in air between your skin and the fabric, and you don't need a bra to hide your nipples! Just be careful that loose clothing may show your real nipples when you bend down! Tighter collars might be appreciated.
by Uco rate this post as useful

reply to this thread