Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

japan rail pass 14 days? 2007/8/22 22:00
Hi,
we planned to take the JR Pass for the whole 2 weeks of our trip, as we thought it is the easiest and best way to get around, but I am not 100% sure, if it might be cheaper and better to get around, as i.e. in tokyo we don't need it and in kyoto neither. I also realised there is a bus to takayama which might be easier than the train.
the trip is planned as follows:
4 days tokyo - but 1 day trip to nikko
1 day (and night) hakone
travel to takayama (overnight),
to kanazawa (overnight),
to kyoto, where we spend 5 days, but want to go to surrounding areas, but busses might do for closer area, 1day trip to Himeji ...,
2 days probably Nara and then back to Narita.

What do you advise?
thanks a lot.

by sandra  

... 2007/8/23 08:29
I would go for the 14 day Japan Rail Pass, because it costs about the same as single tickets, but adds comfort and flexibility.

You could travel cheaper by bus, but buses are more difficult to use than trains and slower.
by Uji rate this post as useful

JR pass 2007/8/24 00:55
don't forget that you can use the JR pass in Tokyo, for example on the Yamanote loop line. That line goes to most of the neighbourhoods tourist are likely to visit: Ueno, Akihabara, Ginza, Shibuya, Harajuku, Shinjuku, Ikebukuro, and more. You will need to take a subway to go to Asakusa (I usually walk from Ueno) and a couples of places but since you have the pass you might as well use it. ALSO, because Yamanote is eleated you have a good view of the city as you go around.
by Sensei 2 rate this post as useful

FTW! 2007/8/24 01:15
Yeah defo, the 14day pass is so worth every penny IMO.

We got lost a heap of times and was really thankful of the pass to take us back and forth etc.

Buy one, u wont regret it.
-Mint
by mint rate this post as useful

reply to this thread