Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Confused; Rail Pass for Tokio 2007/8/23 00:05
Hi all,

maybe somewhere there is a website that would answer my questions already, if so I couldn't find it ...
I'll be going to Tokio for a week and I wonder if I need a Rail Pass. We will stay in Tokio except for a trip to Mitaka (Ghibli museum) and maybe another trip to a different city. Else we will stay within Tokio.
Is that Rail Pass good for public transport within Tokio as well, or is it only needed if you go from city to city?
I am confused ... help ... ;o)

Thanks,

Steff
by Steff  

... 2007/8/23 08:49
The Japan Rail Pass is only justified if you travel long distances. It makes no sense if you stay only in Tokyo.

There are various other rail passes besides the Japan Rail Pass. But it is impossible to recommend much without any details about the side trip you are planning.

About transportation in Tokyo:
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2017.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Mitaka isn't far 2007/8/23 10:47
Mitaka is well within Tokyo by the way- it is less than 20 minutes from Shinjuku station. A round trip from Shinjuku to Mitaka (actually I would use Kichijoji station personally as it's closer to the museum and you can walk through Inokashira park) costs 420 yen- not really a good use of a rail pass.
by Sira rate this post as useful

no 2007/8/23 11:35
Dont get a railpass for just a week in Tokyo. Subways and local trains are not too expensive.

You'll be fine with about 1500-1000 Yen per day of travel costs
by AA rate this post as useful

Thanks! 2007/8/24 14:37
Thank you all, your answers were very helpful. I guess we will really stay in the city. I will check out your link.
Thanks a lot!

Steffi
by Steff rate this post as useful

reply to this thread