Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Ryokan Stay in Hakone 2007/8/23 06:56
Hi, My husband and I will be visiting several cities in Japan in mid-Sept this year. Our cousin who used to live in Tokyo, Japan had made reservations for us at several Ryokans and Hotels. She had found us one ryokan in Hakone but believes that they only serve Japanese Guest. Long story short, all I have is the confirmation that we have a room there, and this website which is all in Japanese: http://www.hakone-furusato.com/

She said places like this is not listed in any other language because they do not serve foreign guests. Should I be worrying? Is there a possibility that they will refuse service? I don't want to be stranded there... She said don't expect them to be kind, or know how to speak any English...
by Jellygeee  

... 2007/8/23 18:37
Indeed, some ryokan will be stressed out by guests that cannot communicate in Japanese.

It means that they can't get across the hospitality, which they would like to offer all their clients.

And it also means that they can't get across their system and rules.

Most ryokan will probably be polite enough not to refuse you, especially if you have already made reservations. And even in the unlikely case that they do, they would probably be responsible enough to organize an alternative for you, so that you don't get stranded.

If you are worried, I recommend you to send them a notice in advance that you don't speak Japanese. And ask whether this is a problem.
by Uji rate this post as useful

ryokan in Hakone 2007/8/24 06:44
I have stayed in ryokans that only had Japanese websites; I don't think that indicates they don't accept foreign guests. I can't imagine the ryokan refusing service. Also, I looked at the website, and it looks like a fairly good-sized place, not a tiny family-run enterprise where there is limited staff. Chairs in the dining room! A breakfast buffet! Luxury! While you can never assume anything, I bet they round up somebody there who knows a word or two of English.
I also assume your cousin let them know that you are not Japanese, or at least that you don't speak Japanese. If you don't think she did, see if she can let them know. They probably already know, because your name is not Japanese and she would have had to spell it out.
In any case, I think you'll be fine. Enjoy your breakfast buffet.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

Thanks forthe response! 2007/8/24 07:30
Okay, it's comforting to hear that most likely they will not refuse service. I've read up on ryokan etiquettes and stuff and will have an electronic translator handy. My cousin lived in Japan for about 10 years in Tokyo (before her marriage went sour) and so she wants me to have a true experience in Japan. I don't think she told the ryokan anything because she only booked it via th site w/ her email address as reference.
by Jellygeee rate this post as useful

reply to this thread