Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Should i use ATM's or the Post Office 2007/8/25 03:30
To get the maximum for my US Dollar, should i use the ATM machines in the hotels or the Post Offices?
Need the most updated info as how to get the maximum for my dollar exchange

thanks
by usa tourist  

... 2007/8/25 11:54
ATMs at post offices do not charge any service fee.

Some other ATMs may or may not charge a service fee. This can also depend on the weekday and time you use it.

Of course, your credit card company will also charge you a fee. It is the same for any ATM.
by Uji rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/30 04:35
Can I use my US citi bank ATM card in a Citibank in Japan? Will it work? if it does will they take out a fee as well? Where is the best place to exchange for Yen. Should I exchange it in bank in my country or at the airport in Narita?
by Elain rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/30 05:03
Citibank ATMs work with most international cards. Is this a bank card with the plus/cirrus logo on the back?

However you will still get charged a transaction fee if I remember. Technically CitiBank Japan and CitiBank USA are separate entities.

If your home country is the USA it is always better to exchange money in Japan.
by John rate this post as useful

Travelers Checks 2007/8/30 05:17
I have always found the best situation is to bring AMEX T.C. and change them at Narita to Yen. The rate is higher than cash exchange and your bank may issue TC for free. Besides it is generally safe to carry a large amount of cash with you in Japan.
by pd rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/30 09:38
I've used my Bank of America Card in the post office atms with generally no problem. I was charged a $3.50 by my home bank however for using a non BofA atm.

Also you need to be aware of the $300 withdrawal limit with respect to the time difference. It may be a new day in Japan but within the same day back home. Also, I had the problem where it wouldn't let me withdraw due to the time limits but BofA still charged me the $3.50 fee to access my account from a non-BofA atm.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

check with bank or credit union 2007/8/30 09:43
I find the Postal ATMs very convenient and easy to find. As someone previously said, they don't charge a fee. You should check with your bank or credit union to see how much they charge per international transaction.
by onsen_fan rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/30 23:16
I travel to Japan at least once a year. If I open an account with a Japanese bank in US will I be able to withdrawal money in Japan without a fee? If yes, does anyone knows which bank?
by GHH rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/31 02:13
I travel to Japan at least once a year. If I open an account with a Japanese bank in US will I be able to withdrawal money in Japan without a fee? If yes, does anyone knows which bank?

You need to be a registered resident of Japan to open a bank account with a Japanese bank. So it would not be possible for you to open a bank account in Japan as a visitor.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread