Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

I want to work in Japan as a doctor.. 2007/8/26 12:44
Hello

My name is Azael. I am from Mexico. I go to high school in the US.
I been taking medical classes for four years already in high school. I am planning
to go to Japan after I finish studying to be a doctor in college. I first want to visit Japan and see if I like it and
then go back to my home country. If I do like Japan, I want to go back a second time there and
and look for a job as a doctor or a nurse. I know English and Spanish. I am trying to learn Japanese by myself right now with books. I will try to study the Japanese language in Japan when I go there during my first trip. Maybe knowing this languages would give me an advantage in finding a job.
The problem is that I dont know how should I start looking for a job as a doctor in Japan.
I also dont know what kind qualifications do I need to work as a doctor in Japan.

Can anyone please help me.
I really need to know.

Thank you.
by Azael  

. 2007/8/27 08:52
You do not become a doctor after you finish college, after you finish college you go into medical school in the United States for even more years of study (so after high school it can take 8-10years) to become a doctor. By then you'll most likely want to stay in your field where you are, moving up and starting over in Japan would require you to pretty much give up almost everything you worked up to that point. Since in Japan you'll have to go through different training and certifications if you wanted to work as a regular doctor in Japan. Though I'm no expert.
by John rate this post as useful

medical school 2007/8/27 09:25
Can I try to go to a medical school in Japan after I finish college over here?
by Azael rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/27 09:37
In Japan many enroll into medical school after college and is part of their university curriculum.

You have to think why do you want to become a doctor in Japan? It is the question "why Japan" you have to see what is good for your future as a doctor and look at the many challenges of being a foreigner in Japan and not only a foreigner but a foreign doctor (as many patients might request to be seen only by a Japanese doctor).

. 2007/8/27 09:38
Correction, in Japan you enroll into Medical school usually after high school, and medical school is your college education.

why japan 2007/8/27 10:51
The reason I want to work in Japan and live there is because I love the culure and life style. I only read about this things in books so that's why I want to visit Japan one day and see if I really like it.

engineer or a doctor 2007/8/27 10:58
I agree with you john about patients only wanting to see Japanese doctors. I heard about that before.

I have two choices. I could either be an engineer or a doctor. I would really want to be a doctor but I also like engineer.
Do you think been an engineer would be a better choice?

. 2007/8/27 11:06
To work as a doctor, you need a license and for that you have to take the national exam for medical practitioners and pass it.
If you have a university degree in medical or already a doctor, you are eligible to take this test. It is in Japanese, of course, that means you have to be fluent in Japanese not only in daily conversation but know a lot of special terms in medical field.

It is not easy and you need perseverance for it - just liking the culture and feel like to work in Japan may not a motivation strong enough to go through all those difficultles, I'm afraid.
by . rate this post as useful

medical terms 2007/8/27 11:41
Where would I be able to learn the Japanese medical terms before I take the national exam in Japan?

. 2007/8/27 11:54
Not just medical terms but you should pretty much be fluent in the Japanese language, not just knowing or good at it, but know it fluently in order to be a doctor. Pointless if you cannot communicate, read or write to the patient.

I understand 2007/8/27 11:57
I am a doctor in the US and I really love being in Japan. It is much easier to become successful in the the US and just vist JPN on 90 tourist permits. Hey you can stay for three months at a time whenever you like!!
by PD rate this post as useful

Nelson, etc. 2007/8/27 15:00
In the original Nelson Kanji dictionary's introduction, Nelson tells about his son taking the national exam to get his medical license and how everybody had assumed that that had been impossible for a non-Japanese to do. He made it sound that you have to be more than fluent in Japanese.

However, judging by the number of questions from expatriates and tourists already in this forum, there is certainly room in Japan for English speaking doctors. I'm living in the UK and close by is a Japanese Surgery where they only treat Japanese expatriates and tourists and is completely outside the UK NHS. I wonder if a similar arrangement can be made in Japan without passing the Japanese national exam and with a foreign medical license.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

national exam 2007/8/28 07:30
So if I pass the national exam, I would be able to work as a doctor in Japan?

Or do I need to do something else too?

Azael 2007/8/28 12:52
So if I pass the national exam, I would be able to work as a doctor in Japan?
Or do I need to do something else too?

When you pass the exam and get the lisence, you'll be qualified to work as a doctor.
But find a post in a hospital or open a clinic on your own would be another issue.
by . rate this post as useful

Same 2008/1/12 16:03
I've been wondering the exact same thing as you, the above posts are right fluency would be an absolute, but unless EVERYTHING on the internet is wrong once you have your prereqs out of the way it should be possible to transfer to a University in Japan (Tokyo University has 2,500 foreign students) but from there on I dont know,
by Riku rate this post as useful

Same 2008/1/12 16:03
I've been wondering the exact same thing as you, the above posts are right fluency would be an absolute, but unless EVERYTHING on the internet is wrong once you have your prereqs out of the way it should be possible to transfer to a University in Japan (Tokyo University has 2,500 foreign students) but from there on I dont know,
by Riku rate this post as useful

reply to this thread