Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Wandering for a month 2007/8/26 18:21
I have been dreaming about going to Japan for quite some time now, and every so often my idea of what my plans would be changes. Recently I thought of just Wandering in Japan for a month. What I mean by wandering is stay in a city for however long I feel and when I feel satisfied with what I have seen I will move onto the next town I have been wanting to see.

I know theres no easy answer to this, but I would like to know an approximate amount of Canadian money I would need to travel for a month. I don't think I will be making reservations at hotels or anything, it all depends on the situation I guess. I am only 16 years old and I plan to get a part time job to save up enough. Also, I would like to know if I am able to find cheaper flights than the ones I find on the airline company site. I have looked in Aircanada.com and all the lowest prices are between 1-2 thousand dollars. if I can get cheap flights, where could I get them?

Thanks alot for all your help.
by Aaron .C  

Good luck. 2007/8/27 09:45
Farecompare.com
by Carlos rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/27 09:56
Fare compare gives you published rates. What you want to do is go to a travel agent who specializes in travel to Japan. JTB in Canada for example or an airline consolidator. But still expect airfare to be in the 600-1000 range.

I can't tell you how much money you'll need I don't know what you plan to really do, where you plan to go, the more cities you visit, the longer distances you travel, the longer you stay the more money it costs.
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2028.html

However you face more problems then just that, first getting airline permission as a minor to fly, then going through Japanese Immigration as a minor, they might want to question you for a while wondering what a 16 year old is doing in Japan for a month just wondering around without knowing anyone in Japan or having a support base. etc.
by John rate this post as useful

One more thing.. 2007/8/27 09:59
A passport is what would be required. No immigration unless planning on staying for more than 90 days then comes the visa(s).
by Carlos rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/27 10:01
Everyone goes through Immigration at the port of entry. I'm not talking about visa's I'm talking about the moment a 16 year old minor walks up shows his passport to the Immigration officer.
by John rate this post as useful

Singed paper worth anything? 2007/8/27 11:32
If I will probably be around 17 or 18 years old by the time I have enough money to travel, and when I have some time away from school. If I do manage to get enough money while I am still 16 years old, Would A paper signed by my parents be significant? I dont wanna be turned down at all. I Think I would be traveling between Nara, Kyoto, Tokyo and places like that. but I would also like to see alot of small towns that arent over run by tourists

Thanks again for all of your help.
by Aaron .C rate this post as useful

for a month 2007/8/27 14:34
if you live in Canada "the Flight Centre" travel agency has return trips to Tokyo from Vancouver between 600 and 800 $ CAD, depending on the season (they use Air Canada). they only have a few seats at these special prices so one has to be flexible i.e .be able to book well in advance. this is ok if you don't have a steady job at that time or have a nice boss. Anyway, inquire about their specials (they have been offering them for years). don't check them on the internet go see them in person! they never have good deals on the interent, ame with AC. As for the $ needed, count on $ CAD. 100 per day, including hotels, food, transportation...you may actually spend less but just in case...also going for a month sounds great but unless you have travelled abroad several times already, are used to crowds, trains and subways, 2 weeks will be enough for a first experience. You also need a more structured itinerary than just going wherever the wind take you..
not having a plan could be dangerous or at the very least, you might waste time.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

reply to this thread