Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Is Ueno safe to walk around at night? 2007/8/26 20:15
Hi, I am wondering is it safe to walk around Ueno at night, like around 7 to 9 o'clock? It is going to be my friend and I, both females, so we just want to know if it is safe enough to walk and explore at night.
by Jen  

. 2007/8/27 09:18
There are many threads on "safety" if you research the search function.

All areas of Tokyo is generally safe to walk around.

Ueno is a much quieter place especially at night compared to the other districts (eg Shibuya).
by John rate this post as useful

Ueno at night 2007/8/27 09:38
Jen,

Note that Ueno has a much higher population of homeless people - especially around the park. While it is still generally safe, I don't think it is necessarily the nicest place at night.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

safe 2007/8/27 11:32
I stay in Ueno a lot. it's safe but not that fun at night- there are a lot of homeless people and not a lot of nightlife.
by Kate rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/27 11:32
There is not much to explore at Ueno after 8pm when most shops are closed. However, if you travel a few stops along the JR Yamanote Line to Ikebukuro, Shinjuku, Shibuya, you'll get what you want.
by TW rate this post as useful

just be careful 2007/8/27 11:47
It should be ok if it's 7-9pm but please take precautions and choose major, busy roads,
never walk small alleys that you don't see anybody.
I agree with Dave that Ueno isn't the nicest place at night.

Japan might look safer, but as a female, I don't walk alone at night after 10pm, and I'll take a taxi instead.
There are some weird crimes happening now that are unthinkable 5 years ago.

by tokion rate this post as useful

reply to this thread