Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Where to buy laptops Nagaskai/Kagoshima? 2007/8/27 19:37
Hi
I've compared prices in Japan and Europe and decided to buy one of VAIO laptops during my holiday trip to Japan next month. I will be only in Nagasaki and Kagoshima. Could you recommend me some shops where I could find sonething interesting?
by Selat  

... 2007/8/28 09:52
Before you purchase just be aware that the same model laptop that you buy in Japan will be different than what you get in Europe. Namely the operating system will be in Japanese, the keyboard will be Japanese, and your warranty may not apply when you bring it home. If you understand Japanese or are fairly computer proficient then you can get used to using a Japanese machine, but trouble shooting when everything is in Japanese can be a pain.

There are ways to overcome the differences, for example, installing a retail copy of Windows bought in your home country, however you'll lose special laptop functions, and it will probably negate the price advantage of buying in Japan. Generally I wouldn't recommend this fix.

Best advice would be to try out the machines at the store to see if you feel comfortable that you can function on them.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/28 14:36
Thanks for your response. I assure you that I took in consideration all dangers associated with buying laptop oversees. I see it only as piece of hardwere, where I will change keyboard for 50$, I already have retail copy of Windows and I still will be saving something as 500$ on this deal.
by Selat rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/29 10:54
Just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into because I did this once and while it works fine, there were a few surprises. Sounds like you've done your homework though and it'll be worth it with the kind of money you'll save.

BTW, what model are you looking at getting?
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/29 14:22
I'm planing to buy VGN-SZ5XWN/C, which now in Europe cost ca. 2000€. The official price on Sony japanese website equals to ca. 1600€. The 400€ diffrence equals in todays prices to ca 550$.
What kind of problems did you expirience?
by Selat rate this post as useful

reply to this thread