Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Am I an otaku? 2007/8/28 06:16
I get depressed after I start new anime finish it, or get up to date. Does that make me an otaku?
by Anonymous  

well... 2007/8/28 10:59
does anime interfere with your social life? To me, that is the mark of an otaku XD

But only you can judge for yourself.
by Kate rate this post as useful

for reference... 2007/8/28 11:23
if you haven't seen it already... try watching the J-Drama Densha Otoko. It's cute and funny, and it'll teach you all about otaku life... sort of.
by Miko rate this post as useful

IMO 2007/8/28 17:06
To me, it just means you have something of an addictive personality.

I get like that sometimes, like when I get up to date with Naruto and then realise I have to wait a whole week for the next installment! However, I also get a little down when other things I enjoy are over (for example, the Matrix Trilogy, a KFC meal, a rollercoaster ride...)

In the end, whatever people call you because of your enjoyment of anime is just a name. It is good to be really into something, so long as it doesn't have a detrimental effect on your life. I'd say getting a bit depressed because something you really enjoy is over, even for a short time, is quite natural.
by Kelly rate this post as useful

Hmm...Meko 2007/8/28 19:39
Yeah I have watched Densha Otoko...:P....and yeah it does give me an idea about otaku's...And Kelly..I too get a little upset after watching the latest ep of naruto and knowing i have to wait a whole week for the nxt one to come out...:)
by Anonymous rate this post as useful

Re: Otaku 2007/8/29 00:57
Well, I'm not really sure one wants to be an otaku. it is a pretty scary lifestyle; I would recommend to develop other interests than watching anime. Get a hobby, go out to meet people and you'll find yourself less depressed about a TV series.
by Kappa rate this post as useful

I Do! 2007/8/29 01:09
I do have other interests other than anime...i skateboard, breakdance, play guitar and drums

. 2007/8/29 07:01
Do you get depressed in that you want to cry or you just can't wait for the next episode two different emotions. If you get really depressed and I mean real depressed (not just disapointnent or excitment for the next season or episode just like any average person would) because of a cartoon, then you need medical help or something.
by John rate this post as useful

normally 2007/8/29 16:03
in Japan, people in college, late high school and older don't watch Naruto becaase well, most cartoons are for kids. So in a Japanese perspective, you might be otaku simply because they don't watch it, their little brothers do.
by Miko rate this post as useful

John... 2007/8/29 20:47
No not depression that i want to cry...just disapointment

. 2007/8/29 22:59
Since there are people out there with real depression it is hard to tell what one means.

If you are just dissapointed the episode is over or the show is over, I think you are just a regular person who watches too much tv. I mean I got dissapointed when a tv show I liked was cancelled, I wasn't depressed about it. But some people DO get depressed and addicted and those people do have problems. But if you are dissapointed but can move on.

You'd be an Otaku if you were like say a Star Wars fan, who lines up 5months before the movie opens dressed in a Storm Trooper outfit, if you are willing to do something like that thenI think you would be like a Otaku.
by John rate this post as useful

Ha...Lol 2007/8/30 05:51
No...never thats extreme...:P....I guess I do just watch too much tv...:S

A fellow Otaku 2008/3/5 13:35
Hello I'm Kairu,

I can say you may be a otaku but as some people may thing that it is a scary lifestyle or as what the older Japanese see it as childish, well that is wrong, beacuse now a days the life style of a otaku is accpeted by the japanese public, I mean look at Akiba, that became the HQ for Otaku and it is slowly being accepted along with the fact of the movie Densha Otoko is a good example of the life of a otaku. I mean so what if they like animemation, for gods sake look at the people that write and draw this. Anyways my random rants are done. I was just tring to say that the otaku lifestyle is not a bad thing.
by Kairu Yamamoto rate this post as useful

not as bad as before 2008/3/5 14:50
Although, you are correct in that Otakus are becoming more accepted into Japanese culture they're also still not the next upcoming thing.
True, compared to the 1980s when an otaku murdered little children, everyone had a fit against all otakus and they became even more outcasted.... life for them isn't so bad. But I'd still say life for an otaku in Japan is like life for the lonely misfit geek in America when it comes to social acceptance.
by Miyuki rate this post as useful

Otaku!~ 2008/3/5 20:15
Wether you call yourself an Otaku or not is personal choice. I guess one telltale sign is knowing what Moe~ means. :)
Me, I'm proud of being an Otaku, and plan to visit a maid cafe next week when I go to Akihabara as well as indulge my anime fix.
(No, I'm not a creepy old man-I'm a 17 year old girl)

Ok, bad example.
basically, if you're in japan, unless you're with friends don't call yourself an Otaku- it kind of literally means "creepy old man". or use 'Wutaku', which doesn't have such a bad tone in Japanese.

And I watched Denshya Otoko, but I found that a fairly exaggerated film on Otaku's and dating. I would reccomend Akihabara@DEEP if you really want to know what Otaku's are like.. and even that is exaggerated a litte!

So don't think just because you watch a little anime (especially one that's been introduced to the west like Naruto) that you're an Otaku, but if you want to call yourself that you can. And it's natrual to be sad when something you like finishes- anime or not. Considering I have about nearly 70 gigs of manga and I watch anime every night, I would deifently consider myself more of an Otaku than you... but there will always be someone else with more who is more of an Otaku! (Why not call yourself a fan or a fangirl if you don't like the term Otaku?)

Otaku can refer to anyone that is obsessed with something, but is usually used as a nickname for Japanese men who are obsessed with women characters in anime.

To recap- it's basically just personal choice. So enjoy your naruto! :)
by Emily rate this post as useful

reply to this thread