Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Train schedule and buying a ticket 2007/8/28 09:47
I am kind of confused about the train. I have read enough past questions to know the basic. But this is the question I have. I was looking for a train going from Akihabara to Shinjuku, and I know that because of the different routes, they all have different ways to get there, but nonetheless they make it to Shinjuku.

So train A would be a direct train from Akihabara to Shinjuku, while train B is a non-direct train that makes a stop first at Ochanomizu stop. There are other alternatives too. But my question is, say I take train B, then when I am at the machine, do I select Ochanomizu as the destination? And then when I get there, I go to yet another machine and then select Shinjuku? Or would I just have to select Shinjuku, and then just find the train that is going to Ochanomizu?

If it is the latter case, how do I find the train route?

The last question is, how complicated is the train system? I see the different trains that are department at the same minute, so there must be a lot of tracks. So are there any tips to locating just the one you want to ride?

Thanks in advance.
by bambii  

Akihabara to Shinjuku 2007/8/28 11:20
Bambii,

In the Tokyo area at least, the fare from A to B is the same regardless of the route you take (however longwinded), so when you buy a ticket, all you need to check is the fare to station B. If you have a prepaid card such as Suica, you don't even need to worry about things like this.

In the case of travelling from Akihabara to Shinjuku, you can travel directly via the (Yellow) Chuo-Sobu Line or via the (light green) Yamanote Loop Line. When using the Chuo-Sobu Line, it is usually easier to stay on the train all the way to Shinjuku, but if you are in a hurry, you can change to the (orange) Chuo Line at Ochanomizu and catch a faster train from there to Shinjuku. I think that saves about 5 minutes or so.
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/28 11:34
I know the route you are traveling and they are both JR trains, you just buy a ticket on how much it costs from your Origin station to Shinjuku Station. Note I said you purchase the cost it takes, not a ticket from x station to x station.

Again the ticket machines don't say the station names, it only shows you the fare. You look at the map to see what the fare is from the station you are at to the station you want to go to (if it is on the same train network), sometimes they will show through fares on other networks too. If it is on one train system you pay all the way to your destination.

The fare would be 160 yen between Akihabara and Shinjuku using JR trains. When you get to the machine at the JR station, you push the button for 160yen (this is typical of a JR ticketing machine: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rk-dd/950916751/) some older machines are not touch screen but show the same functions in fares. and pay 160yen to get your ticket.

For the route you mentioned if it is all JR trains (i know it is) then if you need to make a transfer all you do is get off the train and find where the next train is departing from and get on that train, no need to go through any additional gates because it is all within the same network.

As I mentioned now in two of your posts, if you do not want to worry much about trying to figure out tickets and how much something cost each time you should consider getting a prepaid card such as SUICA or PASMO, these cards allow you to store money on the card, all you do is touch it at the gates as you pass and the fare is automatically deducted.

Train stations usually have signs in the station and on the platform saying which is which. So as long as you know the name of the line you want to ride and the direction, just look for the signs. For example the signs will say "CHUO LINE 1-2" meaning you go to tracks 1-2 for the CHUO LINE. Because the Chuo line goes in two directions, one sign might say Chuo Line for Shinjuku and the other Chuo Line for Tokyo. Just choose the one that goes in the direction you need.

by John rate this post as useful

Chuo line 2007/8/28 12:42
Chuo line trains bound for Shinjuku would also be going to Tokyo, right? Apart from a very few express trains originating further up into Nagano which terminate at Shinjuku.

The trains in the opposite direction are usually bound for Tachikawa, Ome, Takao etc.
by Sira rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/28 12:58
Chuo line trains bound for Shinjuku would also be going to Tokyo, right?

Not if you are at a station in between Shinjuku and Tokyo. eg at Ochanomizu station, Chuo line trains going in the direction of Tokyo Station would be going in another direct then for trains going to Shinjuku.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread