Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Fujisan open even after august? 2007/8/28 10:32
Fujigoko
Hello. this is some
kid from Canada working
in Osaka now as a university intern :p

So I've finally decided to climb Fujisan with my friends
and the only timing adequate seems to be on September 15~17
where there's a official holiday on 17.

However, when I searched postings and guides,
they kept saying
people climb until end of August,
but didn't indicate exactly until when they would open.

So, I was wondering if Fujisan is still allowed to be climbed up in September.

Thank you for your attention.
by josh  

No can do. 2007/8/29 11:43
Too dangerous.
I don't know exactly when it closes though.
by Carlos rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/29 13:47
Actually, Fuji remains open year round with respect that they can't actually close off the mountain. What you will find, however, is that many of the services available on the mountain will be closed. For example, the bus service to the 5th station is drastically cut back from September. The huts on the mountain also close at some point which is probably around mid September.

It is more a matter of your climbing experience on whether or not you should climb outside of the official season. While inside the season there will be no snow and you can climb the mountain comfortably in shorts and a t-shirt. As soon as there weather turns colder you should definitely be prepared with proper equipment, and if there is snow you should not attempt to climb unless you are an experienced mountain climber. People have died attempting to climb Mount Fuji.

I personally have climbed Fuji around the second week of September and it was no problem. All the huts were open and there were quite a bit of people on the mountain, but not nearly as much as I've seen during the season. The buses were not running or only running once per day (I don't quite remember because we drove). Also, I climbed at night (which I highly recommend) but it was really really cold with quite fierce winds.
by yllwsmrf rate this post as useful

reply to this thread