Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Beautiful ryokan in Shiretoko area? 2007/8/28 16:14
I am going up there in fall! It is where I will complete a four week travel odyssey so I want to luxuriate a bit.

Looking online I see places in Utoro; but I can only find big hotels. They look comfy enough, but I am hoping for some smaller scale Japanese elegance, perhaps even with a family-run feel. But not backpackerish.

And if not Utoro, what about Iwaobestsu or Rausu?

In any case, what is the nicest ryokan in that part of Hokkaido to enjoy 2 beautiful nights before flying out of Memanbetsu?
by Romantic traveller  

... 2007/8/28 20:51
This is not a luxury hotel/ryokan but has a nice view of the ocean and in Utoro.

IRUKA HOTEL
http://www.iruka-hotel.com/en/iruka_top_en.shtml
by J Lady rate this post as useful

Not the one, unfortunately 2007/8/28 21:23
Thanks. It looks like a good place for us on another visit (and we will be back, I think.) I am intrigued by the ice diving.

But for this occasion I am still hoping for something more elegant or luxurious.
by Romantic traveller rate this post as useful

ryokan in Shiretoko 2007/8/29 06:57
I was up in that area a couple of years ago, and tried beforehand to find a luxurious ryokan via the internet, and failed...I couldn't find anything like what you're looking for.
As it turned out we only made it as far as Lake Akan (we meandered a bit and there was a road closed) so I don't know what you can find there by just showing up...but I really couldn't find anything but big resort hotels or little minshuku. Good luck!
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

OK, so ..... 2007/8/29 13:24
Thanks for the reality check.

New idea: if we go to Shiretoko a few days earler, and then "conclude" at a beautiful place elsewhere in NE Hokkaido, perhaps Akan area.

Do you think I might find my heart's desire there? (ie a romantic, comfortable ryokan as a last taste of traditional Japan)
by Romantic Traveller rate this post as useful

another thought 2007/8/29 13:26
It does, after all, seem like the kind of thing that a UNESCO World Heritage Zone should offer.

But I digress. Alternative ryokan suggestions, anybody?
by Romantic Traveller rate this post as useful

... 2007/8/29 15:18
I cannot find a top-class ryokan in Shiretoko, either. Some of the better ones I found are the following two, both located in Utoro:

Shiretoko Prince Hotel
http://www.shiretoko-kazanamiki.com/
I stayed there, and I found it to be a typical mid-class Prince Hotel.

Hotel Shiretoko:
http://www.hotel-shiretoko.com/
Suspiciously few photos of the building on their website.
by Uji rate this post as useful

Shiretoko Hotel 2007/8/29 15:47
We stayed there last October. It is a large resort hotel at the hilltop with a good view of the Sea of Okhotsk. The outdoor spa is good and the dinner buffet-style with good seafood varieties to choose. It is crowded with tourists and students, otherwise, enjoyable with good scenery and clean air.
by tju rate this post as useful

reply to this thread