Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Driving from Narita to Mount Fuji 2007/8/29 09:27
We have a party of 7 planning to visit Tokyo and around in Oct. We will arrive 8pm. Is it possible to drive to Fuji on the same day?
by KAMA  

... 2007/8/29 11:20
First of all, driving from Narita to Fuji is not recommendable. It is over 200 km and you have to go through central Tokyo. Even with English navigation system, it is not easy to drive in other nations.

My suggestion is to stay overnight at hotel near the airport and take trains/buses in the following morning. Or you can move to central Tokyo and stay overnight before moving to Fuji.
by J Lady rate this post as useful

driving from Narita to Mt. Fuji 2007/8/29 12:14
I'm a big fan of driving in Japan - though yes, it has its drawbacks - but if you are truly arriving at 8 p.m. I would definitely NOT try driving anywhere that day!

Though signage in Tokyo is better than it used to be, it's still very confusing and takes patience to get through. You'd be on expressways the whole time but that doesn't mean they move particularly fast, except that they always seem to be moving VERY fast at the moment when a very confusing road sign comes up. You can do it, I just would do it fresh after a good night's sleep.

Also for driving in Japan, ignore distance, and focus on time. Things that seem close on the map can take a disproportionate amount of time to get to. And there's some kind of relativity-physics thing going on, where travel slows and gets less logical, the closer to Tokyo you are. You could end up with the jackpot, and sail through Tokyo at max speed (I've done it, but I don't know what stars in particular aligned that day), but plan on some traffic.
There are hotels very near the airport, and also Narita the city has a ryokan that looks nice on the internet (haven't been there). If it were me, I'd do it the next day instead.

And most times in Japan? The train works out faster. Not necessarily cheaper, but that all depends.
by Spendthrift rate this post as useful

time 2007/8/29 12:21
By the time you collect your baggage, go through customs/immigration and hire your car, it will probably be close to 9:30pmter.
Even the drive to Tokyo will take one hour or more.

Even if it only takes 3 hours to drive to near Fuji(but probably more), will you be able to check in to a hotel at midnight??

I can understand wanting to hire a car, with 7 people in your group though....
by Sandy rate this post as useful

:)- 2007/8/29 17:33
Thank you for the input. Highly appreciated. Will plan alternative.
by KAMA rate this post as useful

reply to this thread