Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Looking for WWII buildings in Aichi 2007/8/29 17:45
According to my research, during WWII Nagoya was at the center of the Tokai Army District. During that time, my great-uncle was regrettably executed at a place we know of only as ''Tokai Army Headquarters.'' I am trying to find the location, past or present, of these army headquarters but having little success. Any leads would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
by Kelley M  

Nagoya International Center 2007/9/2 22:31
I'm afraid I have no idea, but Nagoya International Center might be a good place to start your search.
http://www.nic-nagoya.or.jp/en/aboutus/contactus.htm

I am sorry to hear about your great-uncle and I hope to work hard to keep this peace forever.
by Uco rate this post as useful

difficult 2007/9/3 02:41
I asked my wife, who is from Nagoya (and survived the bombing there) and she had no idea. One problem is that Nagoya was flattened during the war, being an industrial center. Even the beautiful Nagoya Castle was mostly destroyed. I asked my wife's older sister, who lives in Nagoya, when we visited recently if there was any pre-WWII construction left there, and she was of the opinion that there isn't any to speak of, although a couple of temples survived. Then too, Nagoya has expanded and spread since then and much renewal has taken place. With research, you may find the location of the HQ (Tokai indicates the general area of Nagoya - Gifu - Aichi), but doubtful any structures remain.
by Tay rate this post as useful

thank you 2007/9/3 09:15
Thank you everyone for your research and assistance. It means a lot to me!
by Kelley M rate this post as useful

Another Tact 2007/9/3 20:59
Maybe asking for the WW2 location is the issue.

I can only come up with a few options

1) What was Nagoya Castle being used for during the war, The castles were used as military bases throughout the Meiji period and Nagoya was no exception?

2) The "3rd Infantry Division" was formed in Nagoya in January 1871. Maybe a search for this base would be more successful. As it is also likely to be the regional HQ.

3) Nagoya Jinja Reitaisai
"In 1610, when Nagoya Castle was built in that area,
the shrine had started to be called "Sannomaru-Tennoh-sha"
because it lay Sannomaru in Nagoya Castle lot.
In 1868 (the Meiji Restoration), its name was changed to "Susanoh Jinja",.
and in 1876 it moved to the present place
because Nagoya Chindai (corps) was established there. "
http://kikuko.web.infoseek.co.jp/english/nagoya-jinja-reitai...

good luck!
by Michael Riley rate this post as useful

POW Network Japan 2007/9/4 05:59
Will this help?
POW Network Japan
http://homepage3.nifty.com/pow-j/e/index.html
by ken rate this post as useful

reply 2007/9/4 19:44
Thanks for the help everyone. As to Nagoya Castle being the possible location of the army headquarters, I don't think it's very likely as my great-uncle died in 1945, the same year the castle was burned down.

Still Possible 2007/9/5 12:13
The Castle burned down on May 14, 1945. But so did much of the town. Even after that date, there probably were not many other options to move to if the rest of the city was also destroyed.

The castle would have had space for a parade ground and it was central. Dont rule it out as an option.
by Michael Riley rate this post as useful

Nagoya during WWII 2007/9/5 16:54
Nagoya was constantly targeted by the enemy air strikes during the warII.
Inuyama castle survived but Nagoya catsle burned to the ground.
Nagoya was heavily targeted because of Mitsubishi Denki and other industries including the harbor.
My grandparents and my uncles and aunts (they were kids then) would go into the river or canal (which used to be in front of their house)
to secure themselves from bombing and fires (fires created from bombing/airstrikes.)
One of the wooden posts inside their house had indentation marks where a shrapnel (from the bomb) or two hit and almost set house on fire a few times. Still, this house survived due to my grandfather's will to protect it and a luck whereas most of the houses nearby were destroyed, this is why all the houses around there were newer looking and my grandparents home was very traditional. My grandfather did not have to participate in the war, he was an only child of my great grandparents (there's a rumor he may have been adopted) who became an educator and produced 8 children. Family's generations of ohaka was also destroyed by the bomb but they renewed it twice since.
Anywho, don't know about the WWII buildings you're looking for because there aren't any in Nagoya City that survived.
Much Aloha.
by cc rate this post as useful

Question answered 2007/9/19 21:39
Thank you everyone for your help. Thank you especially to Ken, who recommended the POW Research Network. I contacted them and they confirmed that the Tokai AH was at Nagoya Castle. My family is very pleased.
Thank you again.

reply to this thread