Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Are most credit cards accepted in Japan. 2007/8/31 08:21
Visiting Japan in May of 08 and would like to know if most credit cards are accepted my commerical shopping stores in Japan? If so what are the main ones.
Thanks
by Fonda  

. 2007/8/31 10:22
Yes most major commercial shops, departments stores etc accept credit cards, they accept all major brands, Visa (most accepted ), but I've had no problems with my American Express or Mastercard.
by John rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/31 13:11
Yes, many large stores accept credit cards, but smaller stores don't accept them very often. So you cannot purchase every stuff with plastic. You need some money, too.

One thing you'll notice is some stores in Japan discriminate purchase with credit cards, which is actually a licence violation with credit card networks.
by anoir rate this post as useful

cards with chips 2007/8/31 13:52
I had a problem with my Mastercard that has the embedded chip on it. They kept asking me for a pin number which I don't have or require in North America.
However, all my other "non-chip" cards worked fine. This was early this year so things may have changed.
by beachlover rate this post as useful

. 2007/8/31 15:28
Some credit card transactions in Japan do require you to know your cards pin number. Most if not all credit cards (including the ones with chips) you can request a PIN to be sent to you.
by John rate this post as useful

reply to this thread