Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

North Tohoku - best one-day hikes 2007/8/31 10:28
No sooner has my request for opinions on my Hokkaido-Tohoku October trip appeared than I learn (happily) that I have 4 more days to play with. Great!

So now I want to know three great 1-day hikes in the triangle between Aomori, Matsushima and Niigata.

I have 2 books called 'Hiking in Japan' (Lonely Planet and Paul Hunt) but I feel like a restaurant customer who can't chooose from the extensive menu.

Help me, O seasoned hikers.

I am fit enough. Having once lived in Kansai I read enough Japanese to deal with public transport and accommodation. I just want great October hikes. Views, landscape variety, not ridiculous crowds.
by Ira  

Gassan and Haguro-san 2007/8/31 14:51
I have done Gassan twice, summer and autumn.

I stayed in Tsuruoka, and took a long taxi to the start of the hike. There were 5 of us, so the cost wasn't too bad, perhaps Yen2,000 each.

We hiked up to the top of Gassan (some moors, marshland, coast views, sea mist rolling in, mysterious shrine architecture) and down to Yudono. From Yudono there is intermittent bus transport back to Tsuruoka. On ourr autumn hike we got down too late, and had to book a taxi back to Tsuruoka - not cheap. But I would go again. A beautiful hike.

There is a nice 'alpine feel' hotel at Yudono if you prefer to overnight there, and just move on the next day.

Note that Haguro, which guidebooks group with Gassan, is a seperate thing. You would never know that from most guidebooks, though.

I have started a hike to Zao from Yamadera (Yamagata) but was beaten back by weather.

I really like the gorges near Hiraizumi (Iwate), and I wonder if there are some trails in that area?
by Laughing Buddha rate this post as useful

Gassan - going there! 2007/8/31 15:04
Thanks for the 'reality check' on Haguro. I am in fact already aiming at Gassan.

And now I will look into Zao also.
If you don't mind, what are the features of the hike?
by Ira rate this post as useful

A base for hikes 2007/8/31 21:56
I think if you stay at Hachimantaira you can choose several day walks, also good onsen.
by Iwao rate this post as useful

Coast walks 2007/9/1 19:26
I am also going to Tohoku and love walking. My interest is coastline. I am looking for walks - cliff tops, beaches, bays, headlands. Are there such trails in north Japan?

I know from train scenery seen in that region that a lot of commercial land (ports etc) is covered by concrete tetrapods and embankments, but perhaps there are some more remote places where one can walk along the sea side?

Swiming would be a bonus. I have done some homework and I figure I am OK in Japan Sea temperatures until the end of October.

But anyway - sea walks?
by Jorge rate this post as useful

Coast-to-coast 2007/11/24 22:22
Does anyone know if there is any place in the north (or anywhere in Japan, really) where there is a defined hike trail from that connects the Pacific coast and the Japan Sea coast? Like, for example, the Coast to Coast trail in the UK?

I;d prefer to stay mid-route at ryokans rather than alpine huts.
by tohoku-phile rate this post as useful

Not really 2007/11/25 11:09
I looked into this a while ago. From what I could find, you can climb mT Iwaki from its sea side, thyen descend all the way into Hirosaki - the last few miles on road. Then there is a broad urban valley to cross (by vehicle), then around Mt hakkoda the trails start again, going most of the way to Hachinohe.

Except for the area E of Hirosaki that could work, and I am sure there are accomms along the way.

There are quite a dew trails through Yamagata (Gassan and Zao area) and Miyagi. You would have to check the relevant Yamakei maps, or a series of books (also published by Yamakei?) that show a;; the mts in each prefecture.

Of course, all that map info is in Japanese....

by Laughing Buddha rate this post as useful

reply to this thread