Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Shinjuku or Ikebukuro area for hotel? 2007/9/1 09:52
Tokyo 23-ku
I have reservations at the Hilton in Shinjuku for six nights. My son says that in order to be picked more easily for trips during my stay that I should move to the Crowne Plaza in Ikebukuro which is closer to his in-laws' house where he is staying now.
I looked it up and found that the subway takes 6 minutes from the Shinjuku to the Ikebukuro station.
I prefer to stay at the Hilton and I plan to take the train to meet them. Is there any problem with that?

I bought the Tokyo Atlas from Amazon which shows exactly where to get out from the subway to surface streets.
by behappyman  

... 2007/9/1 10:33
It is about a 10 minute walk or short shuttle bus ride from the Hilton to Shinjuku Station. Then less than 10 minutes by train (it is a regular train, not a subway) to Ikebukuro. In total, it will take you about 20-30 minutes to get from the Hilton to Ikebukuro Station.
by Uji rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/1 11:06
There is no subway running from Tochomae (closest station to Hilton) to Ikebukuro. As Uji posted, Shinjuku station is at least 10 minutes away by foot from the Hilton.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/1 11:30
Some people use the term subway interchangeably to represent all trains. However when it is Japan you have to make a distinction, no subway (as of yet) connects Shinjuku and Ikebukuro directly, but JR trains certainly do, and it certainly isn't too hard to do either, so don't think you'll have much problems.
by John rate this post as useful

How about the Nishi-Shinjuku station 2007/9/1 15:14
I saw on a map that the Marunouchi line has a station close to the Hilton, Nishi Shinjuku. Is that a good alternative to the Hilton shuttle bus?

Is it also easy to get to from the Shinjuku station after coming by train from Ikebukuro?
by behappyman rate this post as useful

... 2007/9/1 22:07
Getting down to the platform, waiting for the next departure, walking from the subway to the JR platform in Shinjuku Station... I don't think it is worth the effort. I would rather take the shuttle bus or walk (10-15 minutes).
by Uji rate this post as useful

Metro Map 2007/9/1 23:26
behappyman, please see this map and you'll understand why other posters did not suggest you to use Marunouchi line :)
by JLady rate this post as useful

map! 2007/9/1 23:27
by JLady rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/2 00:22
As mentioned I said no subway connects it directly, I should of explained in a faster direct route, if you look at the subway map for the marunouchi subway line you'll see why it isn't the most direct route to take. The best routes between Shinjuku and Ikebukuro is via JR trains, eg the Yamanote Line.

from Shinjuku 2007/9/2 04:14
I stayed at the Nishi-Shinjuku Hilton a couple of years back and found the walk to the station not that long and interesting. By the time one waits for the hotel shuttle one is already 1/2 way there. Thought we did hop on the shuttle a couple of times as it was waiting. and about to go.
by Plantagenesta rate this post as useful

Now I understand 2007/9/2 04:14
Thank you Jlady. I have seen other maps but this one shows the different lines, JR and metro much clearer.
So, if I enter Shinjuku station from the Hilton Shuttle bus stop, it will be clear where the JR Yamanote line to take the train to Ikebukuro is?
by behappyman rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/2 04:49
When at JR Shinjuku station, there are signs everywhere that say which track is which, eg. which tracks are Chuo Line, which tracks are Yamanote Line and which directions they are going in.
eg the signs will say "X-X Yamanote Line" X being the track number(s), then the signs will also say Yamanote Line (in the direction of) Ikebukuro, Ueno, the Yamanote Line train going in the other direction will say "Yamanote Line" (in the direction of) Shibuya, Shinagawa etc.

You will see other train lines go to Ikebukuro too, such as the Saikyo Line
BTW You are entering JR Shinjuku Station (the largest one there), there is also Keio Shinjuku Station and Odakyu Shinjuku Station etc of other railway companies.

. 2007/9/2 09:25
Platform 13 (JR) is where you want to go heading to Ikebukuro. Saikyo line is at platform 1 or 2.
by Tokyonet rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/2 10:24
At Shinjuku Station, the Yamanote Line to Ikebukuro is not at track 13, but track 15.

In case of any changes you should look for the signs as mentioned.

. 2007/9/2 11:33
there is no platform 15 at JR shinjuku station as of yesterday. There are only 14 platforms there. Go see it, John
by tokyonet rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/2 12:00
there is no platform 15 at JR shinjuku station as of yesterday. There are only 14 platforms there. Go see it, John

Last time I checked the current schedule was:
Track 13 is the Chuo Sobu Local Service Line. Track 16 is the Chuo Sobu Local in the direction of Nakano.

Track 14 is the Yamanote Line in the direction of Harajuku, Shinagawa, and Track 15 is the Yamanote line in the direction of Ikebukuro.

If there is construction or rerouting I again go back to the OP and say look at the signs to double verify at the time of their travel, as things can once again change.

Shinjuku station platforms 2007/9/2 19:31
While there have been changes to the Chuo Line platforms in the recent past, the information John gives above is correct. See the links below for confirmation.
But as he also says, the platforms are clearly signposted in English, so there is no need to rely on numbers alone.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/estation/e_shinjuku.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinjuku_Station
by Dave in Saitama rate this post as useful

reply to this thread