Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Science conference dress code 2007/9/2 06:07
I'm off to a Physics Conference in Kobe soon (beginning September), what is the required dress code for geeks like us? Do I have to go out and buy a tie? Can I wear shorts? Jeans? T-shirt? If only the conference would provide us with some info... help!
by Dagon  

. 2007/9/2 10:59
Anytype of conference and assembly I would play it on the conservative/business side and have dress shirt and tie ready.
by John rate this post as useful

conservative, for sure 2007/9/3 05:13
Hi,

having been to several computer science conferences in Japan (so, probably close enough to your case ^^), I can tell you that the dress code is definitely on the conservative side.

Count on all the Japanese/Asian participants to appear in a black suit. Otherwise, long trowsers and shirt is OK, a tie surely won't hurt. Even with a jacket + tie, you won't be overdressed.

Of course, it's important that you don't feel too uncomfortable (especially in case you're having your first presentation on a conference :) ), but you'll probably feel better when you're not obviously underdressed. Well, sometimes, you can even see people walking around in t-shirts, but I imagine you'll
be more comfortable when fitting in, fashion-wise.

Good luck & have fun there,
Kai

PS: This rules hold regardless the weather - imagine this dress code in the hot+humid Japanese summer ... not too much fun, believe me.
by Kai rate this post as useful

From my experience 2007/9/3 23:52
at Butsuri Gakkai (the JPS bi-annual one), we're totally dressed down. I give my presentations wearing flip flops and shorts. (summer time ones, at least) For theoretical meetings that don't have much connection to industry (string theorists, astronomers, people who study slime molds, etc.), the dress code is non-existent. Just don't go naked.

If your field is closer to industry (CS, engineering), yes, those guys tend to dress in suits and ties.

As you might have guessed, I'm a theorist :)
by Japanese physicist here rate this post as useful

at the last one 2007/9/3 23:55
we had in Nagano (well, not exactly a traditional physics one, I'm kind of interdisciplinary), I just wore my snowboard boots in the conference hall so that I could get my intermittent 50 minute rides whenever the session didn't interest me.
by Japanese physicist again rate this post as useful

. 2007/9/4 02:34
Again if you're never sure you're always best to play it on the conservative side. Because you can show up in a shirt, tie and jacket, see if the dress code is down, then just take off your jacket and tie and it becomes business casual. A lot better then showing up with a t-shirt and jeans to see everyone in suits and ties.

Thanks! 2007/9/4 04:13
Since I'm a theorist, I will show up in flip flops! No seriously, I will start out somewhat conservative (as much as a geek can...) and work my way down. Thanks for the much needed advice, especially from the Japanese physicists! By the way I'm an anti-string theorist (we need experimental predictions)!
by Dagon rate this post as useful

Have fun 2007/9/4 13:05
Yeah, actually bringing something a bit more formal might be good as John suggested. A tie and a jacket is a bit overkill though, for theoretical physics, at least. Each specialty seems to have its own level of dressed-downess. But there is a general correlation between the salary of graduates of the field and level of disheveled-ness on display at the conferences.

Physics is so dressed down nowdays, its funny when you see although old pics of Einstein, Pauli, Heisenberg, etc. They're all dressed pretty well, though with the old low-res photos, maybe its just that we can't see the wrinkles and strudel crumbs stuck to their clothes! Old photos of Japanese physicists at home in thought show them in yukata, looking very Kawabata-esque.

I'm glad I live in an age where I can wear flip-flops at a conference!

. 2007/9/4 13:07
Like I said, you can always take off the Jacket and tie, if it turns out to be on the liberal side of dress.

Business cards? 2007/9/4 13:56
Ok, I went and bought some slacks at Gap (Easy Fit, of course), now do I need to print out business cards? Do I take some yankee gifts just in case? What extras does a geek pack other than the obligatory physics books. I'm reading The Japanese Way, so I'm getting completely freaked out, since they seem to be referring to business men mostly.

business cards 2007/9/4 14:10
or how about a copy of some of your papers to hand out? You doing a poster session or a talk? Nonetheless, isn't that more geeky than a business card? And if you want to bring candy and gifts, sure, we'd love some!

. 2007/9/5 17:58
I went for the Bio-forum in ODaiba in june this year.
Most of the Japanese were in Business suits (even the jackets though it was hot!)

but i turned up in jeans and a polo top and such. and well no one said anything or suggested anything. So i guess it depends what you want to wear :)
by Amelia rate this post as useful

I'm off! 2007/9/5 22:29
I'm off to Japan now. I want to thank EVERYONE for their useful advice (and good laughs). I'll be a different man when I get back, I'll be a tie wearing, business card bearing, raw fish eating geek! I have packed ten copies of my (hopefully soon to be) famous paper, a sommer jacket (Gap again...), flip flops (can't resist) and 10 packs of paper tissues for the bathroom. (so they say). A girl friend helped me buy lots of bring-along-gifts (how would I know what gifts to bring...?).
I'm READY! Thanks guys, see you when I get back.

reply to this thread