Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Meaning of "like" in Japan 2007/9/3 22:06
Hi, I was just wondering if in Japan the word "like" (in english) has a bigger meaning than I western countries.

Where I live, "to like someone" most of the time means that you enjoy being with that person and that you like the way she is, but does it mean the same in Japan or maybe it means a lot more, like compromise?

I ask because I fell that the japanese girl I'm dating (she is very funny and openminded but a bit reserved about her feelings) is afraid to let me know openly that she likes me; she may tell me she doesn't like me yet but then she tells me that she likes me a little, and often she does tell me she misses me and that she thinks about me many times...

Maybe she feels that, if she tells me openly she likes me, I would take it as love? Not because of me but because in Japan "like" might mean more than in western countries...

What do you people think/know?

Thanks in advance.
by Jon  

suki 2007/9/4 12:33
Jon, I can think of this.

The English word "like" can be translated to the Japanese word "suki". The meaning of "suki" ranges from "like to "love", but in Japan, you don't really say you "suki" someone. You say that someone is "funny" or "nice" or what not, but when you pay the effort to say "suki", it usually implies something closer to the English "love", moreover if it's about a person you're "dating".

Now, some people may think that "love" in Japanese is "aishiteiru". But "aishiteiru" is a LOT heavier and devoting than the casual "love".

Have you asked her if she likes you as a "human being"? That's probably the answer you're looking for at the moment.
by Uco rate this post as useful

P.S. 2007/9/4 12:35
Oh yes, and in a similar situation, a Japanese boyfriend might ask, "boku to ite tanoshii? (Is it really fun being with me?)"
by Uco rate this post as useful

Could be 2007/9/4 19:38
Thanks for replying Uco.

If in Japan it works the way you say, that could be the reason for her to behave like that.

I have never asked her "boku to ite tanoshii?" but she has told me many times that she has had fun after meeting with me or having a conversation with me, and I see she enjoys my company, so maybe I should stick with that for now.

I really like her a lot and one day I told her the love word because I felt that way, but I regret saying it because I think I scared her...

The cultural differences when it comes to the relationships is what worries me the most right now but I hope it is worth the trouble and effort.
by Jon rate this post as useful

japanese opinion 2007/9/5 08:00
If you use ''like'' in English, japanese people maybe think that you ''like'' one as a friend or person.

we use ''like'' in Japanese(suki) as a love, which means ''i love you'' in English.
if you want to say'' i love you'' in japanese to someone who you want to open your feeling to, you can say ' suki desu'' or '' daisuki desu'' in japanese.

we don't say ''aishiteru'' very much. because it's too much meaning in japanese as a boyfrend and girl friend's relationships. it's for husband and wife, or when you ask a person to marry one.

you can say ''tabun kimi ga boku wo omou kimochi yori, boku ga kimi wo omou kimochi wa ookii to omou yo!''
= maybe, l feel (like, love) you more than you feel.

good luck!!
by JP rate this post as useful

reply to this thread