Home
Back

Dear visitor, if you know the answer to this question, please post it. Thank you!

Note that this thread has not been updated in a long time, and its content might not be up-to-date anymore.

Takayama Festival (Autumn) 2007/9/5 13:45
We are going to based out of Nagoya for the evening of the 9th and would like to try and take in the festival. I looked at jourdan.co.jp (and hyperdia.com) for the train times and see that the Hida line is going at 8:43 in the morning (arrival at 11am) and I think the latest hida back that I could find was leaving for Nagoya at 6:45pm.

My question is this worth the day trip for the 7 hours we will be there. I hear the festival is something to see if possible. I keep hearing about the night festival of lights, but think this would be missed base don these times. Any help would be much appreciated.
by manfrog  

... 2007/9/5 17:55
You will be able to see the daytime activities, but not the night festival. In my personal opinion, the daytime activities alone are worth a daytrip to Takayama, if you do not mind the effort of access (5 hours in a probably crowded train - make seat reservations in advance!):
http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5909.html
by Uji rate this post as useful

Reservations 2007/9/5 23:24
Thanks for the response :)

How does one make a train reservation before they are in Japan. I will be arriving on the 7th and would need to book for the 9th. I think leaving it this long would be cutting it close. Any thoughts would help.
by manfrog rate this post as useful

Travel Plan...any comments/advice??? 2007/9/7 13:33
This is my 2nd trip to Japan...October 2.5 weeks landing in Tokyo.

Day 1 Sunday Arrival - trade in Rail Pass voucher, make train reservations, get to downtown Tokyo hotel (1 night). See anything possible if were are not to tired.
Day 2 - Train to Osaka (3 hrs) in the morning. Spend afternoon in Osaka (aquarium, shopping, food, etc..). I have been here before so I have seen many of the sites. Stay in Osaka for 7 nights (will be my base for the next few days).
Day 3 - Osaka shopping/sites
Day 4 - Kyoto day trip(hit some sites I haven't seen before).
Day 5 - Koyasan trip
Day 6 - Nara and possibly Iga Ueno (ninja town) trip
Day 7 - Kobe/Himeji trip

Day 8 - Undecided day - any suggestions??? Nagoya?

Day 9 - Early morning train to Hiroshima. Day spent at the sites in the city. Stay in Hiroshima for 2 nights.
Day 10 - Miyajima and if time more Hiroshima
Day 11 - Return to Tokyo as early as possible. Afternoon getting settled with some family we are staying with in Roppongi.
Day 12 - Nikko day trip
Day 13 - Kamakura day trip
Day 14 - Yokohama day trip (undecided on this one as well - maybe Matsumoto instead).
Day 15 - Tokyo. Train pass runs out this day.
Day 16 - Tokyo
Day 17 - Flight home at 6pm so morning spent packing and some more sightseeing if possible.

What do you think? I was really trying to get in a day trip on the Takayama Festival, but I am concerned about getting train seat reservations so close to the event.

Any advice or help would be great, but will will be travelling via the bullet train whenever possible so that will help minimize the travel time. We are get and go people that will not spend to much time in the hotel room.
by manfrog rate this post as useful

reply to this thread